Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC Dimming

(Topic created on: 05-07-2020 11:12 AM)
rev6
Apprentice
Options

A lot of phones are now supporting DC Dimming. Can we have updates for this feature with the phones affected (SAMOLED displays).

27 REPLIES 27
AndrewL
Options
@AnjoP: Sorry to hear that your S20 Plus is causing you some discomfort. To combat this, please go to Settings > Display > Enable Dark Mode. You can also reduce your overall screen brightness, and enable Blue Light Filter, which reduces eye strain by limiting the amount of Blue Light emitted by the screen. I hope this helps.
0 Likes
AnjoP
Journeyman
Options

Hi, thank you for your reply and suggestions,Turning the blue light filter on and enabling dark mode will not help anything sorry.

it's the dynamic amoled PWM fault, super amoled doesn't cause me eye strain which is in s7 and s9. when you use a slow motion camera and record the s20 screen. you will notice that the screen is flickering hard. due to PWM.

And that turning on and off screen at a very high rate. is the cause of headache and motion sickness according to my research. 

HOPE SAMSUNG WILL DO DC DIMMING. as other phone manufacturers do.I sell mine, I love the camera and overall, I just can't stand my eyestrain and headache if I use the phone for a long time. i hope samsung will improve in this part. cause I will not buy a Samsung phone that has a dynamic amoled screen ever again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Me too. After using this phone for a day and in the morning, already experiencing headaches like in the frontal area then becomes a migraine. I think its because of the PWM to be honest. How does your headaches feel like? The only problem I have is getting my parents convinced about it. Because Honestly, they dont believe that a samsung phone that was purchased 1 month ago, could give such headaches and therefore need some of your help towards this issue, if possible. 

AnjoP
Journeyman
Options

My main feeling is more on of a motion sickness,  eye strain, I cant use my pc or other digital items, My feeling of dizzyness after using the phone is terrible. this is the first samsung that I return, I use prevous galaxy phone over the past 10 years.

Does your phone is exynos?

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Same. i cannot use my laptop also, it becomes a point where I thought is my Asus laptop causing the discomfort. The headache is like behind the eye also. Like feeling a bit unsteady on the ground also not really stable, like things are moving like a sea of water.  Yes I am in Singapore. My phone runs Exynos and not Snapdragon.

0 Likes
AnjoP
Journeyman
Options

LOL, we are really the same! I tought to its my laptop too and Im blaming it lol. when I stop using it for 2 days my headache and eyestrain stops. btw mine is Snapdragon korean version. 

Samsung need to fix this!, they need to put or try DC dimming, like on Oneplus Huawei, or on other smartphone! I lost $140usd when I return the phone.

I WILL NEVER BUY A SAMSUNG AGAIN WITH THIS DYNAMIC AMOLED PWM DISPLAY!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I see I see. So its really the samsung Galaxy S20  that is causing these headaches. What would you recommend me to do? Because my parents don't believe me and tells me to continue using the phone!:( please help me, how should i convince my parents? So its not the laptop and its the phone causing it? 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

As soon as i use my asus laptop and stopped using my samsung s20 for like 20 mins,  the headaches are gone, disappeared. Strange right>?

0 Likes
AnjoP
Journeyman
Options

Actually in my reasearch only 10% of the users experience PWM eyestrain. 

Most of them doesnt get affected by it, but in 1,000,000 s20 users 100,000 (10%)  is still huge

If you can return back the phone just like I did, or you can just trade it to something that has NO "dynmic amoled" display.

Try to trade it to iphone11 which has NO pwm. or trade it to note 10 lite, or s10 lite, which is super amoled. or you can try one plus 8, or 7t which I have before and does not cause me eye strain.

googluck

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I am experiencing dizzy effects also like a bit giddy after using the Samsung S20. So, Samsung said they wouldnt repair it because there is no defect and they dont have a return back scheme or service. They recommend me to sell the phone and get another phone. And they mention there is like awards by Samsung and they are safe to use for humans.

Therefore, should i sell the phone asap?

How should I convince my parents in this case? Because they are the ones that will bring me to sell my phone then.

0 Likes