Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Write to SD Card

(Topic created on: 08-05-2020 09:35 PM)
Steve1973
Student
Options

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm terrible with tech and have eventually stumbled across this forum so hoping someone can help.

I've recently (23/4/20) ran a system update on my Samsung Galaxy A20E and last night I received a message saying
SYSTEM UI
Cant write to SD card
Your sd card isnt working correctly and has been set to read only to prevent data loss. Backing up the data on your SD card is recommended.

Can anyone please tell me what this message is about and how do I fix it as had no problems until the latest update.

11 REPLIES 11
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Steve1973 wrote:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm terrible with tech and have eventually stumbled across this forum so hoping someone can help.

I've recently (23/4/20) ran a system update on my Samsung Galaxy A20E and last night I received a message saying
SYSTEM UI
Cant write to SD card
Your sd card isnt working correctly and has been set to read only to prevent data loss. Backing up the data on your SD card is recommended.

Can anyone please tell me what this message is about and how do I fix it as hadhttps://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card  no problems until the latest update.

Hi @Steve1973 ,  I would back up your Data on a Cloud service  and/or Windows   and then wipe the cache.  Hold Bixby/Volume up and then Power, release when Samsung screen appears.  Afterwards wipe "Device Cache" and "Reboot Device" However if that does not work you may need to format the SD card.   Guides for phone and  computer

https://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card 

There have been issues reported with SD cards at times, see one of the threads:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note9/SD-card-read-write-error 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

send me a picture of your sd card front and back, and the adapter

Steve1973
Student
Options
Thanks so very much for your answers. What I did was remove the SD card and put it in my old Samsung phone and all the pictures I was looking for reappeared so the card seems ok on that device.  I had an old SD card lying about which I've now put in this phone and it seems to be working. I will however follow what you have said should it happen again. I'm only a light mobile user and it was only the photos I was concerned about so I'm going to print the ones I want off and transfer the rest via my other phone to my laptop. Many thanks and thanks for your time. Stay safe

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Steve1973  Thanks for letting us know.  No problem, at least SD card working for now- take care :smiling-face:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Milad Moqaniyani
Apprentice
Options

i have same problem on A51

0 Likes
mapz
Student
Options
Hi, I'm using a s20 plus and I've also just got this message and I've tried removing and inserting again and seemed to be okay for 2 hours then the message has reappeared
VoonKK
First Poster
Options

Me too - on my Samsung Galaxy M31 !! 😖

After backup-format and it just work for a day and reappeared the same issues/problems.

I'm sure that the SD-CARD has no problems at all since i've tested to be use on my laptop.

0 Likes
c0ldn3s5
Student
Options

brand new galaxy ao2s and brand new sd card and i get this message more than i use my phone. that last update did it too. last time i ever buy a samsung phone FOR SURE. my note 8 was good until screen broke but im sure the "updates" since i havent had it have only made it better................... the only fix is either a hammer and new phone or new sd card but alas cant afford either after wasting money on this.

0 Likes
Simon1959
Journeyman
Options
I have it as well on my new S20fe
0 Likes