Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added Security for Stolen Devices

(Topic created on: 14-05-2023 04:09 PM)
kelebz
Student
Options

@Samsung Can you guys consider the option to disable the posibility of the phone turning off without a password or fingerprint, this is because in South Africa, possible everywhere around the world once a phone has been stolen the FindMydevice thing pretty much becomes useless because once it is stolen they immediately turn the device off and its as good as gone.

So please consider adding that anytime you want to turn the phone off or restart, or go into recovery mode there needs to be an input, that being the password created by the user or fingerprint to make things faster and easier.

#StolenDevices

3 REPLIES 3
kelebz
Student
Options

@Samsung Can you guys consider the option to disable the posibility of the phone turning off without a password or fingerprint, this is because in South Africa, possible everywhere around the world once a phone has been stolen the FindMydevice thing pretty much becomes useless because once it is stolen they immediately turn the device off and its as good as gone.

So please consider adding that anytime you want to turn the phone off or restart, or go into recovery mode there needs to be an input, that being the password created by the user or fingerprint to make things faster and easier.

#StolenDevices

Risky24
Helping Hand
Options
Not possible because you always need a way to power off your phone in the event it hangs. The device already prompt for authentication when trying to turn it off while the device is locked though but you can still force power down.

Maybe a password at the bootloader level could be of use but then you would be screwed if you were to forget it. I think they should consider something at the firmware level combined with the IMEI where the device could be disabled via Samsung's side through the IMEI.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

There would be no harm in sending this as direct feedback to Samsung via your Samsung Members app @kelebz 

Samsung take security on their phone's seriously so any feedback is appreciated. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "