Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

A24 not charging | The connected USB device is not supported

(Topic created on: 05-12-2023 02:05 PM)
ken420
Journeyman
Options

My A24 was charging perfectly fine yesterday, no issues whatsoever. After waking up today, it suddenly wasn't able to charge anymore. It connected briefly, showing the charging icon, but then it disappears and the notification bar shows the error: "The connected USB device is not supported."

Things I've tried:

- I've tried the cable on my other devices, and it works fine.

- I've tried to charge using the cable and adapter that the phone came with, but the phone still didn't charge, and now not even the error shows up.

- Clearing the cache and data of "USBSettings" in Applications and restarting the phone, but still didn't work.

Things that I assume:

- Not a faulty cable/adapter, as it works on other devices.

- Not a broken/obstructed charging port, as it can identify that my cable is (suddenly) not supported.

- Possibly an overnight software update that messed things up? (That I was not aware of)

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could at least provide some insight into this issue.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@ken420  obviously you have tried a fair bit of Troubleshooting.  I would make sure though that there is no liquid/debris in the charging port.  Advisable to clean every so often.   if you run a Diagnostic test via Samsung Members-Support-Diagnostic-wired charging are any errors highlighted?

sometimes third party app can cause a conflict, have you downloaded many recently. If the problem does not exist in safe Mode https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ 

with charging issues some customers have found wiping the cache partition which deletes temporary cache files provides a solution, your Data is not impacted.

1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key
3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4. Wait until the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ken420
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll be trying this out when I get back home. Here's hoping that it works.

0 Likes
ken420
Journeyman
Options

Once again, I appreciate the help.

Diagnostics did not detect my cable, despite being plugged in. My cable still does not work when in safe mode. I have also now wiped the cache partition, but still to no avail.

However, it seems like my phone is charging perfectly fine when plugged into my laptop, with another cable. Keep in mind that the tests above have been done with both my own cable and adapter, as well as Samsung's. This is another entirely separate cable that I use to plug my phone to my laptop, and it seems to be charging just fine from there. 

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Charging via laptop though is slow in any case. I think the Device may well need to be inspected,a problem when the cable is not detected. Can you get to a Samsung Service centre?

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ken420
Journeyman
Options

Yes I can, but unfortunately not in the near future, and it's pretty far from where I live. If there is absolutely no way for me to fix this issue on my own, then I have no choice but to head to one. For now, I'll keep an eye out for wireless chargers. Is there a general rule I should follow for purchasing one for my A24? It would be a shame to buy one, only for it to not work on my phone, and if there are other cheaper alternatives beyond original Samsung wireless chargers.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

There are alternatives which as listed as compatible though I would recommend  the offical samsung chargehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Official-Wireless-Charging/ 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

sorry it seems the A24 does not support wireless charging 

Solution
ken420
Journeyman
Options

I see, that's unfortunate. I'll have to go on with laptop charging for now until I get the opportunity to head to the service center. Thanks a lot for the help!

Update: I've visited a tech store to see if they have other cables that I can replace mine with, and after doing some tests, It seems like my phone CANNOT charge with a USB-C to USB-C cable at all. USB-B to USB-C however, works just fine. Weird, but at least I know that it isn't the end of the world for my phone. I recommend people who have the same issue as me to try out other cables too.

Jpparis
First Poster
Options

Same phone and same problem here. I remember the day before is stopped working, all of a sudden I received the notification of "usb device is not supported" and I had nothing conected. The thing I don't get is why laptop charging is working, Im using tha same cable. Athough, while conected to the phone, it sems to not transfer any data.

0 Likes