Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A21s: Unable to use torch in camera mode

(Topic created on: 12-01-2021 02:49 PM)
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

I have read elsewhere that this is by design - why? This is a major design flaw when trying to take photos in very low light level conditions.

Use case example: My water meter is in a very awkward place, low down at the back of the under-sink cupboard, and using my old J3-6 I was able to turn the torch on and see where I was aiming in the camera display and take a snap of the reading - something I can no longer do using the A21s.

Yes, I know there is a workaround using video mode with the torch on and capturing a still frame, but this is not an ideal solution.

Is there a 'hack' that would enable the use of the torch in camera mode?

12 REPLIES 12
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
Sorry to be blunt but you've said you done it before so you know where you need to a picture with flash on.
0 Likes
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

What are you suggesting - that I hang onto my old J3 for this sole purpose?

Can no-one answer why disabling the torch in camera mode is by 'design'? Even when attempting to use live focus in low light conditions you get the warning "Lens blocked or not enough light" - pretty poor design choice.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

It is disabled in case the camera needs to use flash, is what I have read. 

CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options

Hey again fade2gray!

Pugs is correct - the handset sees the cameras and flash as a "combined resource", so the if the camera's being used, the camera sorta "possesses" the flash until the camera stops being used. Hope that explanation makes sense. It's not ideal, but I remember having the issue with my S5. You might be able to bypass the limitation with other camera apps or modifications.

All the best,

Tom 🙂

0 Likes
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

...but this is paradoxical - if the torch is already on then the flash is ready for use if it is required by the camera in that situation - not forgetting that video mode gives the option for the lash to be permanently on for the same purpose. The point is, I have to use a secondary light source to illuminate the subject before I can take a picture of it in low light conditions - a real backward step when comparing it to my old, cheaper J3-6.

SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
No. I'm saying you know where to hold your phone took take the picture as you've took ones before so just position your phone where you usually do and take a picture with the flash kicking in. Bit of moan about nothing.
0 Likes
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

@SirStottalot wrote:
Bit of moan about nothing.

I beg to differ. If I can't see what's on the screen, I can't position the camera correctly to prevent the reflection of the flash from the readout cover from obliterating the meter digits.

0 Likes
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
🤣 But you know where you've took the photo before. I very much doubt the position of your metre has moved. That's my point.
0 Likes
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

Ok, I have arthritc hands and mobility issues, and even if could hold the camera on the bottom shelf in roughly the correct position, I would not be able to guarantee the exact angle of tilt or pan to avoid the reflection - but well done for making someone feel inadequate with your mocking comments.

0 Likes