Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz Hotspot tethering error workaround

(Topic created on: 13-02-2023 10:51 AM)
agorax1
Apprentice
Options

I noticed since August Update I can't turn on 5ghz hotspot anymore.
After some experiment, finally I can turn on the hotspot using some trick.

1. Turn on Developer mode first (Google it!!)
  2. Navigate to Developer Options > Networking > Tethering hardware acceleration, disable the toggle.
  3. Turn on your mobile data (REQUIRED). Required to trigger the 5GHz hotspot frequency.
  4. Navigate to Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot > Configure.
  5. Change the band preference to 2.4 GHz first. (REQUIRED !!!). 
  6. After Mobile hotspot established go back to Configure.
  7. Change the preferred band to 5GHz, then Save.
  8. Enjoy.

You can even use it while connect to another WiFi network. It looks like the error is stemmed from OneUI conflict with android 12 Wifi AP/AP concurrency function

8 REPLIES 8
ytnzzn
Explorer
Options
For me, when a person needed to connect to the hotspot, I had to change the band preference for 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and then only she could join. So instead of going into all those settings, maybe try switching first?
0 Likes
Nana Mbeah
First Poster
Options

didn't work 

carinio
First Poster
Options

this actually worked on a Samsung S20 FE 5G, EU-Version

thanks, mate

0 Likes
Mahdi Mz
Apprentice
Options

Not worked on A73 and A30.

0 Likes
Karmacode
First Poster
Options

Didn't work also with A52 & A20.
All of my devices support 5Ghz Wi-Fi and works fine with my asus router With 5Ghz (433/433Mbps). But none of these devices can find my 5Ghz Hotspot from phone.

0 Likes
prophet3000
First Poster
Options

i have a73,did you find the solution?

0 Likes
liam21
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I have both an A31 (when I'm writing has Android 12) and an A14 (when I'm writing has Android 13), for both an update was installed some days ago, and now I've the problem agorax1 described.

I tried his workaround, with no success.

However, I noticed a strange thing, when I put "5 GHz" for the hotspot of my A14, I cannot see its network from my PC, BUT I CAN SEE it from my A31, and I can also connect to it.

Does anyone have ideas...?

Thanks

0 Likes
Fuga80
First Poster
Options

Really before some update (I don't remember when) I was able to use 5GHz hotspot, but not anymore...

I have tried your yours steps with no sucesss... (even reset network preferences... and a lot of phone reset/power off)

Any other option ? I read in another forum that Samsung was aswering some guy about "... not available in this Region"

So, how can I change again my region? 

0 Likes