Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7 Shield says needs firmware update and Security has to be turned off

(Topic created on: 27-02-2023 04:33 PM)
CatoM
Student
Options

Got a T7 Shield 2TB SSD and when I first plugged it in it asked to set a password for the Security feature, which I did, then informed me there was firmware update, but Security would have to be turned off, which I did.

Then it said it couldn't find an update.  So fine, I re-formatted it using exFAT, and it works in Windows 11 (i.e., shows up as a the 😧 drive, can read/write).

So, I decided to use the Samsung Portable SSD Software 1.0 that got installed on first use, and it tells me the drive is disconnected, even though Windows 11 sees it and I can read/write from it.

Next, having read elsewhere that Samsung Magician could also manage the T7, I tried it (since I have a 980 Pro as the boot drive).  Now Magician reports it is a "ASM236X NVME" (the internal controller of the T7). but treats it as a "foreign" drive (such as SATA-connected drives are treated) and all items under "Drive Management" report "The selkected drive does not support this feature".

Is there a way to get it back to "factory settings"?

10 REPLIES 10
Julian Tompa
Student
Options

Have you found a solution for this yet?
My T7 SSD showed up as having an update in the Magician Software. I started the update only to receive a failure message and now my drive has the same problem as yours.
Windows sees it, I can read and write form/to it but neither Magician nor the Portable SSD Software recognise the drive as a Samsung drive.

HoseaG
First Poster
Options

I am having this exact error. I have tried to slow format the drive in other formats, uninstall drivers, everything. I really would like a solution, because I currently do not trust the reliability of my T7.

Julian Tompa
Student
Options

I contacted Samsung Support and had to send mine back. A replacement arrived today which works as intended

iamian
Apprentice
Options

Hi. Any problem i had with updating f/ware could only be solved by returning the drive to Samsung. Took a couple of weeks...not good service and nothing could be done by resetting locally. Samsung service sucks in my opinion.

Members_aI2Tq21
First Poster
Options

I was getting this error and feared the worst. Then I realised that when I went to update the firmware, my laptop had already opened the SSD in file explorer. Even though it shut file explorer down automatically it then said update failed and I lost site of the drive. I disconnected and reconnected the SSD and made sure file explorer was closed when I checked for software updates. This time it worked and not only did I get my firmware update but now I can see the drive on my laptop.

0 Likes
FoRU2nVnC
First Poster
Options

Hi.  Were you able to successfully get the firmware updated?  if YES, how?  I have experienced the same issue you specified.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  thx in advance!

0 Likes
FoRU2nVnC
First Poster
Options

Hi.  Did you call tech support over the phone?  if YES, what number did you call?  Or is there a support page to where you can email them or have online chat support?  any help would greatly be appreciated please.  thx.

0 Likes
iamian
Apprentice
Options

Yes, I contacted Samsung Support via phone (Support # is on their website) but the only help they could give was to tell me to return the SSD to Samsung in Sydney - I'm in Australia.  They returned it in about 10 days I think.  twas a couple of years ago

0 Likes
iamian
Apprentice
Options

Yes, I contacted Samsung Support via phone (Support # is on their website) but the only help they could give was to tell me to return the SSD to Samsung in Sydney - I'm in Australia. They returned it in about 10 days I think. twas a couple of years ago

0 Likes