Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7 1TB not recognized on usb C

(Topic created on: 10-04-2022 05:08 PM)
waltph
Apprentice
Options

Just received a T7 1TB. My laptop does not recognize it when using the USB C port. (The usb C port works for other devices, specifically iPhone). The blue light is on, so it's receiving power. It's recognized fine using USB A port. I'm using a MSI laptop running W11. I've checked the drivers for the usb ports and they are up to date.

thanks for any help you can provide.

16 REPLIES 16
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @waltph 

Did you manage to get any further with this?

0 Likes
waltph
Apprentice
Options

no progress. I'm not sure what else to check.

0 Likes
waltph
Apprentice
Options

I have not been able to find a solution

Paul163
First Poster
Options

Same problem here. Undetected in diskmgmt.msc, no drivers needing update. 

xIMarcer
First Poster
Options

Hey I have the same problem with a 1TB T7 shield!
I already checked my laptop and its a usb-c 3.2 and my IPhone connects as well as other devices when using the same cable that I use for my SSD. But when I try to connect the SSD with usb-c, the laptop doesn´t recognize anything. I really need help. Is it a problem with the ssd or am i missing something?

0 Likes
aluminuman
First Poster
Options

Just got my 2TB Samsung T7 to work again via the USB C port. I wasn't getting any power/device recognition via USB-C, but the drive worked via USB-A, and other devices worked on my USB-C port, so I was convinced both the drive and the USB-C port were working. So I tweaked the Windows 10 options and everything is working again. Maybe this procedure will work for someone else, here's what I did:

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Right click controller from drop down menu -> choose "Properties" -> choose "Power Management" tab -> UNCHECK box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Repeat "Properties/Power Management/Uncheck" for each USB controller and then RESTART.

After doing this my T7 started working again via the USB-C port. So then I went ahead and rechecked all the USB controller Power Management boxes EXCEPT the USB-C port controller, and restarted again. Still working as of now.

Windows still turns off the blue power light on the T7 SSD when I'm not using it, but the drive always shows up in file explorer (like it used to) and the blue light comes on whenever I access it. So far so good!!!

CatoM
Student
Options

aluminuman,

I tried your method and it did not work for me.  I left all USB controllers at UNCHECKED "Allow the computer to turn off...", however I still got I/O errors when attached to USB-C.  Eject (via USB icon on taskbar) and reconnect to USB-3.1 TypeA and it works properly.

System is Asus ROG STRIX X570 motherboard w/ Ryzen 9 5900X.

So then, fearing the worst, I tried it on an HP Spectre 13t-aw000 w/i7-1065G7 & ONLY has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.  It worked fine, actually faster than on the Asus/X570 board.

Close to margins?

0 Likes
Scott M
Apprentice
Options

I just got a 2TB T7 - same problem.  It's replacing a 1TB T5 which has worked flawlessly.  I hooked up the T7 using the same cable as the T5 (USB C) and...nothing.  Blue light came on, Windows 11 did not acknowledge that a drive was connected.

After much frustration and fiddling, I got it to work.  The solution is ridiculous but worked for me.  Maybe it will work for you.  As it turns out, I think there's a defect with the T7.  USB C is supposed to be agnostic of which rotation/orientation the cable is inserted (whereas USB A will insert into the port only 1 way, for example).  In my case, I had to rotate the connection to my computer a certain way, and the one to my drive a certain way.  There are 4 combinations.  Of the 4, only ONE worked.

I plugged one end (let's call it X) into the PC, and the other end (named Y) into the drive.  Nothing.  So I took end X and rotated it, plugged it back in.  I repeated this process with plug X, then plug Y until finally the PC recognized the drive.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  And this was NOT the case with the T5.  I kept the cable in the same orientation that I originally had the T5 in - which was working fine.  Furthermore, this behavior happens with the USB C cable that is shipped with the T7.  So it's not a cable issue.

The only thing I can think of is there's a defect in the T7 such that the USB C port doesn't actually support both orientations of USB C.  For what it's worth, it worked just fine with the USB A cable.

I can't really explain it, but try flipping your cable through all port orientations to see if it works for you.

Sweny1980
First Poster
Options

This worked straight away for me thanks 😃