Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Odyssey G7 bright flash on screen then goes black.

(Topic created on: 17-12-2023 04:54 PM)
tringo007
Apprentice
Options

YouTube video at bottom of this post shows issue with Samsung Odyssey G7 monitor. It has not been moved or physically damaged. It's no longer on warranty (>3 years old).

When I turn it on and connect computer to it, it just flashes then goes black as seen and none of the menus work any longer. The issue happens with multiple different laptops and cables so the laptop/cable is not the problem. I also have a second monitor which does not have this issue.

The issue is not consistent. Sometimes the monitor works (eg it is working now). When the issue appears, it is very difficult to get the monitor working again when I critically need it for work! Random things like turning off and on or waiting and unplugging and plugging DP cable might work, but not always.

Has anyone seen this before? Can it be repaired / worth repairing? Any advice welcome.  

https://youtu.be/2G9xI4P-CCU

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
tringo007
Apprentice
Options

I contacted UK tech support (GXO ServiceTech (formerly RepairTech))

with a video of the issue and they said I needed to send monitor in for diagnosis for non refundable £50 plus ship at my own expense. They could not estimate repair cost and they said I would need to take risk that repair cost could be higher than cost of new monitor. I contacted Samsung chat support directly to complain and got someone thankfully over chat who was super helpful. They gave me below steps which fixed the issue. I notice the issue happens only after a few days of non use of the monitor. Hopefully this solution lasts and I will do this every time I face it. 

Power Drain device cables to the monitor :
1. Disconnect source connected (HDMI, DP..plus all other cables)
2. Unplug power cable of the monitor
3. Press and hold power button of monitor for 15-20 seconds
4. Set the monitor back up with the source input (PC on HDMI etc) and the power cable.
5. Power back on the monitor

THey said maybe the monitor has electricity that was stored, and they highly suggested performing power drain every time the monitor wasn't used for a long time before using it.

View solution in context

10 REPLIES 10
Members_SWQuO47
Apprentice
Options

Getting the exact same issue here... Only it's only been about 2 and a half years for me. Bought in August 2021 and it broke a month ago. I'm thankful I'm not the only one with this issue, I've only seen one other person so far who has the same issue but sadly no fix then just send it back to Samsung. I think that's what I'm going to do because there is no other solution and sadly mine does not have a warranty anymore too... I hope there is a fix for this before I send it over...

0 Likes
Solution
tringo007
Apprentice
Options

I contacted UK tech support (GXO ServiceTech (formerly RepairTech))

with a video of the issue and they said I needed to send monitor in for diagnosis for non refundable £50 plus ship at my own expense. They could not estimate repair cost and they said I would need to take risk that repair cost could be higher than cost of new monitor. I contacted Samsung chat support directly to complain and got someone thankfully over chat who was super helpful. They gave me below steps which fixed the issue. I notice the issue happens only after a few days of non use of the monitor. Hopefully this solution lasts and I will do this every time I face it. 

Power Drain device cables to the monitor :
1. Disconnect source connected (HDMI, DP..plus all other cables)
2. Unplug power cable of the monitor
3. Press and hold power button of monitor for 15-20 seconds
4. Set the monitor back up with the source input (PC on HDMI etc) and the power cable.
5. Power back on the monitor

THey said maybe the monitor has electricity that was stored, and they highly suggested performing power drain every time the monitor wasn't used for a long time before using it.

Members_SWQuO47
Apprentice
Options

Thank you so much!!! Hope it works now in the long term :smiling-face: This just saved my life I can just sell the other monitor I bought as a replacement I seriously thought the display itself was just dead...
Life saver!

0 Likes
Members_SWQuO47
Apprentice
Options

Hey! Just wanted to give you an update on the situation.
Sadly, for me it's doing the same thing again and I tried doing the power drain method and it's not working this time around.
Have you had any issues lately?
Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
tringo007
Apprentice
Options

I wouldn't doubt if the same thing happens to me again at some point and that process doesn't work even though so far, so good. Reach out to Samsung support chat and complain. I think when I chatted with them, they mentioned that they might be willing to take back the monitor and give some sort of refund or similar (or I may be mistaken). Regardless though, reach out to Samsung chat through the main samsung UK . EU site. I found them to be willing to help. 

0 Likes
WesWes
First Poster
Options

Hey there.

So, I have an extremely weird proposition for you.

On 2 previous occasions I noticed very similar problems to the one in the video posted by OP but they were a bit less severe, where I could still see some parts of the screen or the entire screen but It had very strong pixelization and the colors were extremely messed up. Both times I did not do anything to fix the screen but simply restarted it several times and waited a bit and it just started working again.

I just got home today after being away from my pc for over 5 days (meaning the monitor was off for 5+ days). I turned the monitor on and had the exact same result that was in the video. I restarted the monitor 50+ times and still nothing. I tried googling for the issue but only found this post and thought the monitor was done for. Then I remembered something I thought to myself the previous 2 times this happened. It felt to me like the monitor needed some time to literally heat up. Once it did that, it would start working again. Now, I know this sounds pretty strange and it does not make much sense (it doesn't to me either tbh :face-with-tears-of-joy: ) but I decided to take a more drastic approach this time since the issue was at its worse (where the entire screen would flash and then go completely black)

So, I literally got my hairdryer and heated up the monitor for a minute or two (from the front and back) while also restarting it from time to time. Needless to say, I was shocked when after 5-6 restarts the monitor just turned on like normal as if it never had any issues. I am now typing this post while using it.

I do have to say that I have no evidence that this "heat up process" did anything to solve the issue but the monitor did turn on rather quickly after I did so. 

I do also want to mention that I have only ever experienced this issue when the monitor had been off for an extended period of time (2-3 days or more) I do not turn my pc off during the night so the monitor stays in sleep mode and I have not had this happen during the time I am actively working with the monitor. I do turn off the pc and in term the monitor (not from the button/power) when I am away for a longer period of time.

So, as a last ditch effort I would suggest giving this a go if you can, maybe it could be the problem solver for you as well. Hope things work out :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
tringo007
Apprentice
Options

The issue happens for me in the same exact scenario I.e lack of use of the monitor for a few days. Similar to what you mentioned also, besides the monitor going completely black like my video, there is sometimes heavy pixelation instead. Once I get it to work through things mentioned in this thread, then once I continue to use monitor every day, the issue does not recur. Will try the hair dryer stunt if nothing else mentioned in this thread ever fixes the issue.

0 Likes
Members_SWQuO47
Apprentice
Options

I'll try it but that seems kinda weird haha. I'd probs do it when there is nobody in the house xD. For me it still works fine when using 144hz. But yeah any attempt at running it at 240hz at the moment is a no go. I tried draining the screen again multiple times even tried to hold it for a whole minute but, still not I guess I'm gonna be stuck running at 144hz... I'm not sure it's worth it to pay few hundreds for a repair to just get it to work from 144 to 240...

0 Likes
Members_SWQuO47
Apprentice
Options

Your theory seems to be right. Because, If I let my screen for like an hour or two on 144 and put it in 240 the issue doesn't occur so it seems that if the screen warms up it's actually fine.

0 Likes