Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB Slow Performance

(Topic created on: 27-11-2019 08:23 PM)
Vlada011
Student
Options

Hello, I have problem with 4K performance on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB installed on Windows 10 Pro x64bit.

System is X99. M.2 is connected to M.2 slot with CPU PCI-E lanes,  PCI-E x4 Gen 3.

Most important speed 4K speeds are far below advertised speeds and shown in reviews.

I tried both Windows and Samsung NVMe 3.1 drives without change.

Crystal Disk Mark.PNG

Please help!

If you agree I would ask RMA?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
AA27
Student
Options

I seem to have a similar problem yet mine is worse on the 500gb model have a look at my 4kibq8t8 read compared to write, i have no idea why it is like this970.PNG

0 Likes
Vlada011
Student
Options

But again your result is closer to normal. 

Do you have X99 platform as well or some newer?

Crystal Disk Mark is in my case worse, other softwares show much closer to advertised speeds.

Score in AS SSD in my case is from 5500-7200 depend of moment I use software. 

AS SSD Benchmark MBs.PNG

ATTO v3.05.PNG

0 Likes
AA27
Student
Options

I'm on the z390 platform with a 9700k so theres th bottlenecks here, i have no idead why these iops are so slow, freah install of windows 10 x64 too

0 Likes
Vlada011
Student
Options

That's answer maybe because your result is better then mine.

970 EVO is famous that Write Speed is good, as you see on Crystal Disk Mark.

I have X99, first platform with M.2 support.

Who knows, I contact Samsung and send them results in at least 5 different softwares and they say speeds are normal.

This is from OCN Review and as you see result is exactly like your. But mine is behind on some spots...

01.PNG

I never had problems with Samsung SSD before, and this is little disappointment because they technical support didn't check on X99 platform 970 EVO Plus and if numbers are OK to offer me replacement. 

Only to check how 1TB behave on X99 and if numbers are highest then mine to send me other SSD NVMe.

Samsung know better then me why 4KiB Q8T8 Write is so lower and why 4KiB Q32T1 both and Read and Write are lower on mine then on review and M.2 work on full speed.

0 Likes
AA27
Student
Options

Yeah I've no idea why they perform so erratically, I may send mine back within the return period yet if Samsung can't support why my plus is 800mb/s slower than my brothers evo at 4k, not acceptable.

0 Likes
AlexaH
First Poster
Options

I have a similar problem with my 970 pro 512gb and 1tb nvme drives. I first had this slow 4K write problem with the 1tb 970 pro and I bought a 512gb 970 pro to rule out the hard drive. All benchmark speeds are slower than published benchmarks I found online. I get spec speeds when In windows 7 pro x64 but windows 10x64 keeps showing crummy numbers. If I boot into win 10 x64 safe mode then I get much better speeds than JB normal boot but still not as fast as windows 7. Not sure what is going on, as I’ve tried switching m.2 ports, using a pcie adapter plugged directly into a x16 slot, tried a new motherboard from a different manufacturer. And I’ve tried swapping in and out my Ram. The only thing I haven’t tried is a different X299 cpu.

4C686B53-702E-4DF5-80B8-61E0920FCC5C.jpeg

0 Likes
Vlada011
Student
Options

I think that's problem with Crystal Disk Mark (some softwares, Windows, Samsung Driver)...

Because with Win10_1909_x64 and new Samsung NVMe Driver situation is little differente.

Crystal Disk Mark 6.0.2.JPG

But I think Crystal Disk Mark is not accurate for every version of NVMe M.2.

And not Is 7.0 version available with different results.

Off course I done these tests without M.2 heatsink. Maybe heatsink will help little because in some tests ATTO, Crystal Disk Mark 7 temps reach 105C on Controllers and 80-85 on V-NAND memory. 

I must install 20x20x0.5mm fan on Controller.  Off course I will remove top label.

Anyway serial number could be read with software.

0 Likes
Vlada011
Student
Options

You see how people from Samsung are liars...
Their advertised Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB Performance you can see on their page

Samsung Magician 970 EVO Performance.JPG

And these are performance on mine Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB.
That's not problem only. Bigger problem is because people in Samsung say Mine Performance are OK.
But look difference in Random Read and Write... I never had slower performance on Samsung SATA III SSD then advertised.
Because of that I will RMA 970 EVO PLUS 1TB when situation with Covid-19 pass.

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
AlexaH
First Poster
Options

I seem to have solved my issue for now, and the solution was 2 fold. 1) how tightly i fastened the cpu heatsink to the cpu seemed to affect the speed. i'm not sure why this is, but i tried repeating this several times and found that loosening the screws a bit increased the 4k, 4k-64thrd, and acc. time speeds. 2) disabling the cpu c-states (bios setting) on the asrock x299 extreme4 motherboard seemed to bring the 4k speeds up from 24 MB/s read/37 MB/s write to 58 MB/s read/185 MB/s write, while bringing down the acc. time from 0.10ms read/write to around 0.02 ms read/write. ON an evga x299 dark the slow speeds only showed up when selecting enable for the c states, while disabling or leaving on automatic kept the higher speeds. This issue happened on whatever 970 pro nvme i tried (i tried a few different sticks and different sizes to troubleshoot)

0 Likes