Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsing SSD 970 EVO Plus Running Hot

(Topic created on: 20-02-2020 08:34 PM)
Marc100
Journeyman
Options

My Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop was delivered new in 2016 and was fitted with a Samsung SSD PM 951 NVMe 1Tb.  Idling speed of this drive was around 45 to 50C.  Under load - video editing for example, the temperature varied from 55 to 60C.

Two months ago I replaced the PM 951 with a Samsung SSD  970 EVO Plus NVMe 2Tb.  This drive idles around 55 to 60 C.  Under load it rises to 65to 70C.

While running Samsung Magician performance benchmark just now it rose to 76C.

Is this normal?  Does Samsung consider this to be acceptable given that Magician says "too high"?

82 REPLIES 82
Marc100
Journeyman
Options

Anyone else think their 970 EVO Plus is running hot?

NathanLiles
First Poster
Options

Mine is also saying the temperature is 'too high' under minimal load. I have the same model and size - 970 EVO plus 2 TB.  Did you ever figure out what may be the issue?

Marc100
Journeyman
Options

Hi Nathan,

I eventually contacted Samsung Support.  I was asked to carry out a number of tasks and submitted the results to them.  Their reply was:

From Magician, everything looks fine. There is no critical warning about the temperature.

​Does the SSD get enough airflow?

I believe it does but until I can get the back off my laptop ( I am away from home at the moment) to check for dust etc I can't be sure.

CrusaderNN
First Poster
Options

I am having just the same issue(?). Samsung SSD970 EVO 250 GB in a middle tower case with sufficient airflow (3+1 big fans), having 55 degrees in idle state (Magician says "too hot"). 

When I was composing my desktop in January,2019, I had read somewhere that EVO drives are always more hot than other SSD drives - but it doesn`t affect performance or health. Having this desktop run everyday for more than a year and playing 3Daction eventially, - and having this PC safe and sound -  I come to conclusion that this "hot" issue is not an issue at all.

The reason I am writing is recent Magician update and this quite confusing message "Too high". I`ve started to google - and here I am:-)

Well, It`s your turn, Mr. Samsung-wise-guys, to say us why it is too high for so many of us:-)

Patrick
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Its because nvme cards have much higher bandwidth than normal ssd's. The much higher speeds produce much more heat. Thus only use nvme if you have good cooling.

Stars-Moderator-signature-800x200-patrick
RuneX21
First Poster
Options

I just installed mine (After a brutal day and a half of screwing around trying to replace my boot drive) and its hitting between 65-75 regardless of load. 

I have a Dell Inspiron AIO 7775 which is for work only, but wanted this to speed up my access to office files as the 7200 was extremely slow. (far slower than a 7200 ever should have been) The speeds are great with the SSD, but I am concerned with the heat.  Anyone have a solution for this? I may go buy some thermal compound to put over it and try and dissapate the heat, but id prefer a different solution. 

Also, if you have a dell and want to change your boot to an ssd, save yourself some time and just wipe the drive and do a clean install.  Something about the Dell bios seems to hate the evo 970s. 

0 Likes
TeaBiscuit
Student
Options

I have a Dell G7 and after installing my 970 plus it runs at 61C when using a fan cooling pad and the system fans on full. When running under minimal conditions (just web browsing, no gaming)  I normally see 65-70C.

Called the support center and they were less than helpful saying that since it is under warrenty if I want I can just return it.
I looked into heat sink options but there is only 3mm clearence so not sure what we have for choices. Also, I wonder if even with a heat sink what the gain would be because it also needs air flow to work well.

Marc100
Journeyman
Options

I received this info from Samsung Support when I qqueried my high temps:

A high drive temperature does not necessarily mean that the drive is faulty, especially if it is within the recommended temperature when used.

Please note that Samsung does not manufacture nor recommend the use of a third-party radiator or heatsink on its SSDs, since it is not necessary. 

This is because the 970 EVO Plus has advanced thermal control solutions that enhance performance with reduced heat risk. Dynamic Thermal Guard (DTG) technology proactively prevents overheating, and a heat spreader with an integrated thin copper film dissipates heat more efficiently. Additionally, a nickel coating on the Phoenix controller also helps to dissipate heat faster during heavy workload use in order to ensure the high levels of quality and reliability.

You, therefore, do not need a radiator specifically for your SSD 970 EVO Plus.

Please be informed as well that using a heatsink on your SSD will require the peeling of the label on the drive. Removing the label on your drive will automatically void the drive’s warranty and warranty service will no longer be possible.

BlackOven
First Poster
Options

Hi. What's your current write speed in your dell 9350

0 Likes