Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsing SSD 970 EVO Plus Running Hot

(Topic created on: 20-02-2020 08:34 PM)
Marc100
Journeyman
Options

My Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop was delivered new in 2016 and was fitted with a Samsung SSD PM 951 NVMe 1Tb.  Idling speed of this drive was around 45 to 50C.  Under load - video editing for example, the temperature varied from 55 to 60C.

Two months ago I replaced the PM 951 with a Samsung SSD  970 EVO Plus NVMe 2Tb.  This drive idles around 55 to 60 C.  Under load it rises to 65to 70C.

While running Samsung Magician performance benchmark just now it rose to 76C.

Is this normal?  Does Samsung consider this to be acceptable given that Magician says "too high"?

82 REPLIES 82
GrantJG
Apprentice
Options

Don’t waste money on a cooler. Drives are now 4 times the capacity and half the cost they were when the 970 EVO was released. Mine died 6 months ago after years of reliable service. Got a 980 Pro 1TB which is twice as fast for about $150 and it runs at max 50deg under load. 

thewaywardgeek
Journeyman
Options

Problem with my setup is I specifically use it on a LAPTOP. Which has significantly little/no area to spare a cooler. Might just opt for better one  soon.

0 Likes
Arie73
First Poster
Options

Mine died within a month in a Satechi enclosure killing the enclosure too. Awfully hot. Wonder if there really isn't a heat issue.