Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable SSD T7 - PSID revert support?

(Topic created on: 26-10-2020 05:05 PM)
john_connett
First Poster
Options

I am considering obtaining a Portable SSD T7 and am interested in the possibility of using it with systems other than Windows or Mac.

Is the T7 compatible with the Trusted Computing Group Opal specification?

In particular, does it support the use of PSID revert to perform a factory reset?

The Drive Trust Alliance sedutil utility supports PSID revert on other manufacturers' Opal Self-Encrypting Drives (SED).

The T7 User Manual states that it can be "reset to factory settings via an online service by a Samsung Service Center" but provides no further details.

I would like to be able to factory reset the T7 myself if experimenting with the SED features puts it into a strange state. 

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
typw01
First Poster
Options

god .... please. someone answer this dude.. i have the same issue ..and i'll like to reset my ssd ..i lost the password

0 Likes
Paulyyyyy
First Poster
Options
The factory reset software requests a PSID number to reset. There isn't one printed anywhere on the T7. Good luck.
0 Likes
iamian
Apprentice
Options

PSID is on the bottom edge of theT7 ...the opposite end to where you plug the USB cable

0 Likes
iamian
Apprentice
Options

PSID Revert completed OK but now the SSD is not recognised by my laptop.  what needs to be done to rectify this?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Martin251
Student
Options

I had the same problem to reset a T7 touch drive, and I figured out the process successfully. So I'll leave this procedure here for others to find.  Obviously, all prior data on the drive will be forever gone with this procedure. 

Step 1, you need to contact Samsung support, at their 3rd part support provider, "Total Tech Solutions":  https://www.totalts.com/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

For me, using firefox, this site gave me a dangerous site warning, weird, but it's fine - I had to add an exception. Then scroll down to where you see "live chat". Click on that button (live chat is probably closed, not a problem), and it will instead take you to a page to open a support ticket request (under livehelpnow.net, and should say "samsung memory services" at the top).  Fill this in, select your device in the drop down menu, and mention you need to reset your device, and submit.

For me, in 1 day they responded, and first sent me a dropbox link with a .zip that includes a samsung tool with a file "factoryreset.exe".  Open the tool, which scans for a locked SSD, and generates a 4-part key, which you reply back to the support email, and they'll give you part 2 of that key to type in to complete the reset.  Supposedly this tool works for most, but for me this tool couldn't initially find my drive (said "no locked PSSD found").   I'm using windows, but there is a mac version as well, just note in your message which you need.  

So attempt 2, I wrote back, and this time they sent another dropbox for another reset tool that instead uses the PSID number on the end of the SSD housing (also called "factoryreset.exe").  This tool worked great, and more simply. Just enter that PSID (a long string of about 30 letters/numbers), click "do factory reset", and in about a minute, it's all done. 

Next, unplug and replug the SSD. The drive won't show up in Windows explorer yet. Open "disk mangement" via the administrative tools --> computer management in the control panel, and you should see your drive as unallocated space. Right click on the small drive label square on the left (not the long rectangle representing the drive partition), and select "initialize drive".  Select MBR or GPT (it should be prechecked, based on how your other drives are set up, like in my case it was MBR, but most newer PCs may be GPT). Then click next to finish. 

Lastly, now click instead on the unallocated space rectangle to the right, and select "new simple volume", let it provide a drive letter, and hit ok, and that's it.  The drive should be reset and good to go. 

One warning, while my T7 drive now works great again, this process wiped away the original small read-only partition that contained the samsung software to set up the drive protection password and fingerprint. I don't care or need it personally, but if you do, you may need to ask support yet again for that software or how to replace it onto the drive. 

You would think Samsung would utilize a more straightforward way to do all this than a 3rd party support company giving random dropbox links and downloaded exe files, which comes across as super sketchy. It all works, but be sure to follow the contact process here to get the links straight from their tech support, and probably avoid dropbox links found in the wild online to be safe. 

fplk
First Poster
Options

Hello! @Martin251 

Looks like I'm locked out of my Samsung T7 (non-touch) after trying to enable SED on this drive 😕

Do you happen to still have access to those tools? I tried creating a ticket, but they just told me that either samsung magician works for me, or I need to send it back, and I'd like to try out something else before I send it to them (and I practically exhausted all of the possibilities).

Edit: after quick back and forth, I was provided with factory reset tool. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks!

0 Likes
fplk
First Poster
Options

So, if anyone stumbles upon this post any time in the future, I was able to resolve this issue. None of the Samsung tools helped me though.

PTAL for more details here if interested Allow read-only mode on Linux for ATA drives by fpoliakov · Pull Request #437 · Drive-Trust-Alliance... .

0 Likes
Martin251
Student
Options

I'll add one more note... I had another T7 drive (shield, not touch) with the same issue, stuck read-only and lost the password. On this drive, I tried both of the Samsung standalone tools to reset, and neither would find the drive at all. I contacted their support again, and they said to try Samsung Magician, which I did, installing onto a Windows 10 PC, and again, no luck with the reset. The software did see the drive and gave usage statistics, but the PSID reset function was blocked.  As a last resort before an RMA, I installed the Magician software on an old Windows 7 PC instead, and tried again, and surprise, it worked perfectly and let me do the PSID reset. 

Lesson is, the OS seems to affect how these reset tools work.  Win10/11 I have heard can have issues with Samsung SSDs in general, where a drive won't show up or can't be configured and appear to be dead, but Win7 will find it and set it up just fine. 

0 Likes
iamian
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the tip. I've got an old laptop running Win7 so if (when!) it happens again I'll give it a try.

0 Likes