Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odyssey g5 image quality and options at 144HZ

(Topic created on: 19-10-2020 06:41 PM)
Denbell88
First Poster
Options

recently bought my first high refresh rate monitor, the odyssey G5 monitor. when i select 144hz all the colors looked washed out and in the monitors settings i cant adjust the picture mode. the screen looks amazing when i drop it to 120hz, is this a normal side effect of this setting?

4 REPLIES 4
Leif140
First Poster
Options

I didn't even try dropping to 120 Hz before, but when i did i got the same exact results as you. Bought it yesterday and have been bothered since. Searched for drivers on samsungs site but only found ones in korean, that sort of translated. However, they didn't translate to code. I'm confused and startled, this is not the answer to your question, feel ya man.

0 Likes
koale
Apprentice
Options

Did you found out what is causing it? I can confirm I have the same symptoms. 144 - washed out colors, 120Hz - way more vivid. 

Using HDMI cable from the box.

0 Likes
koale
Apprentice
Options

I noticed that the difference between 120(and any other apart from 144) and 144hz is because of the Windows HDR setting.

On 144 I had this ON but when I switch  monitor refresh(using monitor OSD)rate from 144hz to 120hz windows HDR gets disabled. 

When I turn it On on 120hz the colors become washed again. If you disable it in both scenarios 120hz and 140hz colors are way more vivid. 

Is this a thing? I fail to understand the HDR fancy(nies). Do I need to run some tweaking on HDR first?

0 Likes
Gamerdad87
First Poster
Options

I have a 27" G5 and I can tell you the HDR is terrible. The colors look way better when you turn it off. I agree that when you change the refresh rate to 120hz HDR is turned off and that is why the colors look better. If you read the review on Rtings this monitor has bad HDR brightness so the colors don't pop. I was honestly very surprised at just how bad it was though. If you have a Nvidia card you can use the Nvidia control panel to fine tune the brightness, contrast, and digital vibrance. I brought the vibrance up to 70% and it makes the colors look a lot more... well vibrant. The downside to doing that is it makes the monitors color accuracy worse. But i'd rather have the colors bright and lively. Looking back I wish I would have saved my money and bought a G7.

0 Likes