Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.

(Topic created on: 26-11-2021 10:04 PM)
sr71_sr71
Apprentice
Options

Hi Folks.

I recently purchased a: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S1T0)

I am trying to install the recommended driver: Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe

When I run the installer I get: Setup - Samsung NVM Express Driver, Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.

Can you please advise how to resolve this?

Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
rsaturn
First Poster
Options

WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON THIS SSD!

sr71_sr71
Apprentice
Options

Just so you know I received a direct reply on my ticket, as follows:

Please refer to our Sales Rep Directory (http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/support/global-network/) to find the rep firm in your area.
They can help you with your sales question/technical inquiry.

Personally, I could not find help following the above, so stopped trying. My drive simply works without the drivers and software etc.

Thought this worth sharing.

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @sr71_sr71 and @rsaturn ,

I would suggest contacting our dedicated Memory Team at: samsungmemory@hanaro.eu. They will be able to provide you with the next steps. 

0 Likes
sr71_sr71
Apprentice
Options

Thanks very much for your suggestion, I have sent an email today and will post back here what happens.

Regards.

0 Likes
sr71_sr71
Apprentice
Options

FYI: I had the following back from the memory team:

-----------------------

Thank you for contacting Samsung Memory Support.

Please note that the Samsung NVMe driver supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
The recommended system requirements (minimum) are:
- Intel Haswell Refresh Processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- 50 MB free hard disk space
- UEFI Bios v2.3

Please also note that the Windows operating system can only load the driver when Samsung NVMe SSD such as

970 PRO/EVO/EVO PLUS, 960 EEVO/PRO etc is installed into:
- PCIe slot directly connected to UTC, or
- Slot M.2 or PCIe connected to PCH.

However, in the case of PCH, the Windows operating system cannot load the driver in BIOS configurations where PCH Storage Configuration is set to "Raid Mode",
or NAND/Storage Remapping (the menu name may be different depending on the M/B manufacturers) is enabled.

We, therefore, suggest the following actions:
- Please update the motherboard drivers, including the chipset driver.
- Go to BIOS Settings / SATA Configuration and switch to AHCI mode.
- Please check if RAID mode is set, as some motherboards have the default RAID mode.
- If you are mounting NVMe SSD on the M.2 slot of the mainboard, please switch from PCI to M2 in the BIOS option called "PCIe slot bandwidth" and the driver installation process will detect NVMe SSD.

We do hope to have adequately informed you.

---------------------------------------

It seems that changing from the default Raid mode to AHCI is not easy to do as my laptop did not automatically handle it and did not want to boot, so going to think about that at a later date as I might need to reinstall the OS?

Also, I do not see an option to switch from PCI to M.2 on my laptop (Alienware 17r4), although could be missing something.

For me, the device seems to be working fine without any of this, so given what's involved, I am going to leave it. Purely a personal choice.

Members_oiHMNue
First Poster
Options

Same problem here with a HP ZBook Firefly G8 and a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB. The Samsung Magician doesn't give the data it should and when I tried to install the express driver from Samsung ... the error is that the device is not connected... but it is!

The SSD works, but the Magician doesn't.

Samsung: We are waiting for a solution for this! I would like to see the data from Magician (I have it in another Laptop and it works well).

Thank you!!

0 Likes
VanHallman
Student
Options

Same problem here. HP doesnt seem to offer BIOS's with the AHCI option anymore. Stuck in RAID mode. VERY FRUSTRATING!

0 Likes
VanHallman
Student
Options

Same problem here. HP and SAMSUNG need to fix this TOGETHER!

0 Likes
familymania
First Poster
Options

I fixed this problem on a Lenovo 720s-141kb (81BD) into which I had upgraded the disk with a Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus .

Advice from Samsung Memory Support is correct.  If your BIOS is showing RAID not AHCI then Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe will not work and Samsung Magician will have limited functionality.

Warning: Do not change from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS without putting Windows OS into safe mode. AHCI uses different drivers so Windows OS will fail and your machine may get stuck in a boot loop. If this happens you need to get back to the BIOS setup (F2 at power up on my machine) and switch back to RAID. My machine was then able to recover the disk and I could resume. 

I found this procedure worked which I found on https://www.top-password.com/blog/switch-from-raid-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows/

1. Force Windows to boot in Safe Mode by opening Command prompt as administrator and typing:

bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

2. Restart and access BIOS (F2 on my machine but may be F1 or ESC)

3. Depending on your BIOS menus find the SATA Mode and change it from RAID to AHCI.

4. Save and exit BIOS and allow windows to start up in safe mode.  The missing AHCI drivers are installed by safe mode.

5. Disable safe mode by opening the command prompt as administrator and typing:

bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot

6. Restart again, this time in full windows.

7. Install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe and this time it should find the disk.

8. Install Samsung Magician and it should have additional functionality like being able to update firmware.