Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

27" Odyssey G7 - DisplayPort Issues

(Topic created on: 04-08-2020 05:11 PM)
ColdWynter
Student
Options

Just wondering if anyone has issues with the G7 and connections via DisplayPort, as all I'm getting is a black screen ( HDMI works fine ).  I've tried the supplied cable, and a USB-C -> DisplayPort ( both v1.4 ), and the result is the same for  both.  I've connected it to a couple of MacBooks, a Lenovo, and an iPad.  All of them detect the screen, and seem to think they're sending output, but the screen remains black ( oddly, even the coloured lighting goes off ).

Oddly, when connected via DisplayPort, the OSD is extremely limited, the only options I have, are for the OSD, and for resetting the monitor. 

I'm on firmware 1005.2, if that makes a difference.

42 REPLIES 42
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@YorkieScot 

you may try steps to kiwi above

how about 

☻ check if correct source | press button → menu  → source → DisplayPort → 1.1, 1.2, 1.4 (depends on DP cable type)

then turn off and on the monitor?

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
masterstudent
First Poster
Options

I have been experiencing the same issues, and I think I found a solution: In the OSD, I've been able to change the DisplayPort configuration to 1.2 or 1.1.  The monitor firmware is  1003.1.  I'm testing to see if this will fix.

Here's how I got here:

1. OSD
  2. Down to System System
  3. Right
  4. Down to Display Port Ver.
  5. Select from 
    1. 1.1
    2. 1.2
    3. 1.4

Also, the graphics card may need firmware update. Mine is a GTX 1070, and here is a link to a firmware tool from NVIDIA :  https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

0 Likes
Boqueronster
First Poster
Options

The same is happening to me. The HDMI connection works fine but everything I tried with any of the DisplayPort ports didn't work.

I've tried different DP cables, included the supposed good one 8K that comes with the monitor, and different adaptors, but nothing worked. Most of times, my computer detects the monitor correctly (I have an iMac Pro with The Vega 56) and get correctly all the monitor info. I can change resolutions, configurations, etc., the screens flick as they do when you change the configuration, but the image never comes to the Samsung G7.

My last chance is a Thunderbolt 3 dock with a DisplayPort 1.4 that I bought in Amazon and arrive in a few days. Maybe the problem is the iMac Pro side. If the monitor doesn't work with this dock I will return it to Amazon. It's a pity because it looks great and I was excited for testing games at high refresh rates.

I anybody has found a solution, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
dook
Apprentice
Options

I fixed my issue by using the Cable Matters brand cables and adapters...

Also, download the latest driver from Samsung and update firmware. 

0 Likes
Boqueronster
First Poster
Options

I finally found a solution!!

Hi! I was in your same situation. I tested different cables, in different computers, but only got results with HDMI. I even bought an adapter USB-C to DisplayPort, 8K certified, but it didn't worked.

Then I tested the monitor in my neighbor computer and I was lucky because he use to work with a dock connected to his laptop, and it worked. My intention was only to check if my DP ports were OK, and then keep trying to find a solution. For a couple of days nothing worked and I decided to test it again, but this time with a dock.

I was planning to buy a thunderbolt 3 dock for my iMac Pro and I eventually found the Seagate Firecuda Gaming Dock. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but since any other TB3 Dock liked enough to me, I thought that having a TB3 Dock (no the best) and, at the same time, a 4 Tb HDD and a PCIe M.2 x4 port wasn't too bad at all.

Now, I couldn't be more happy. My Samsung G7 monitor works perfectly attached to the Display Port 1.4 at any refresh rate, including 240Hz, I have a decent thunderbolt 3 dock, and I have an additional 4TB HDD and a M.2 port to connect a high speed SSD (currently an old Intel 660p series that gives real 1.200Mb write / 1.330Mb read).

The coincidence that my neighbor had a laptop dock saved me!!

So, my conclusion is that this DisplayPort needs a self powered connection as a dock like this can give, and any kind of passive cable won't work.

Hope you find useful this information.

0 Likes
Moseren
First Poster
Options

Hey, has anyone found a solution to this? I just got my samsung g7 and have attempted to connect it to my MSI GE66 Raider  2021 with no luck. My laptop is seeing the screen etc but getting a no sigal message on the g7 monitor... HDMI works fine (144 Hz). Newest firmware, newest driver, Nvidia software updated, ...

The MSI connects via Thunderbolt/USB-C to another alternative monitor (Asus) without problems...

0 Likes
Members_PZwO9Yl
First Poster
Options

Don't know if this will prove helpful to anyone but had issues with my displayports too and what solved it for me was turning off variable refresh rate. I found that when plugging a hdmi into my pc to connect my capture card I lost all displayports and this solved the issue. I still think for how much this technology costs it is a giant pain in the rear. But hopefully this will help someone. 

Ladbrook
Student
Options
Beware, I have a Firecuda exactly the same as yours. It worked at first, but now I have the same issues as the OP. 😞 so now I have spent £550 on Monitor, £270 on dock and £30 on cables and all I can use to make it work is an HDMI cable with 144hz capacity. If I connect the display ports I get a black screen that sometimes flicks up with the display port 1 (or 2) symbol. Sometimes it even causes my laptop to black screen too.

Really bad from Samsung at this price.
0 Likes
Tsfell
First Poster
Options

Okay I got my Odyssey S7 today and had the same issue. Here is how I fixed it. Go into settings, and scroll down until you see an option for "Auto Source Switch" and change it to yes. Problem solved. I literally don't know why this wasn't switched on from factory. Check out samsungs official page for setting up a new monitor.

0 Likes
kenryubr
Explorer
Options

Hello,

I'm using my Dell G3 with NVIDIA
GeForce GTX 1660 and G7 Odyssey 27'' as a second monitor.
My Firmware was updated to v1011 and NVIDIA drivers were updated too.

I had the same issue. Everytime that the monitor goes off (standby or turned off) and try to turn it on, it turns the lights on, HDMI is recognized but the lights goes off, monitor goes black and even the OSD stops to work.

I realized that It seems to be a misunderstanding between the monitor and the input (windows/nvidia) when turns it on.
The G7 monitor only recognized the input and turned on after I set the refresh rate to 60Hz on Windows advanced video settings or NVIDIA Control Panel.
Different from that, it only turns on if I unplug and plug HDMI again.

You can set to 144Hz after that, but when it's turned off, I always have put it back to 60Hz on Windows/NIVIDIA or unplug/plug HDMI to turn it on.

I don't know if it's either a Samsung's firmware problem or NVIDIA's driver problem.

0 Likes