Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S800B soundbar power supply

(Topic created on: 03-01-2023 04:13 PM)
The_Poison_Dwarf
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone,

I've spent over two hours chatting to Samsung Technical support who are no closer to resolving a solution - all that I need to do is to get the power adaptor further away from the soundbar.

They can't 

1 - confirm if it's an ordinary two core cable that I can simply cut and extend

2 - tell me what pin sizes are used so that I can get an extension made up

3 - contact Head Office and ask for specification details

Needless to say it's been like banging my head against a brick wall

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
thedrum
First Poster
Options

I figured out a solution! I spent way too long on this problem.

The HW-s800b and HW-s801b soundbars require a 3.0x1.1m DC connector pushing at least 19v/30w power. The power adapter that came with my soundbar (which I assume is the same for all) was a 3.0x1.1mm DC 19v/60w adapter that only went about 5ft from the TV before having a big brick attached to it, which was frustrating to hide.

I could not find a 10ft+ 3.0x1.1mm DC power adapter at all, so I opted to combine some parts to make an equivalent over USB-C.

I purchased the following 4 items, which powered the sound bar and provided some choice in length, thinness and avoided Samsung Support entirely:

I hope that helps! It works just like the original power supply, fits in a cable wall sleeve nicely, and shouldn't be too budget-breaking (although the total solution cost about $60, not exactly great). I ran the cable through a wall sleeve under the Frame soundbar and then under a rug to get behind the couch, out of sight.

Enjoy!

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
thedrum
First Poster
Options

I figured out a solution! I spent way too long on this problem.

The HW-s800b and HW-s801b soundbars require a 3.0x1.1m DC connector pushing at least 19v/30w power. The power adapter that came with my soundbar (which I assume is the same for all) was a 3.0x1.1mm DC 19v/60w adapter that only went about 5ft from the TV before having a big brick attached to it, which was frustrating to hide.

I could not find a 10ft+ 3.0x1.1mm DC power adapter at all, so I opted to combine some parts to make an equivalent over USB-C.

I purchased the following 4 items, which powered the sound bar and provided some choice in length, thinness and avoided Samsung Support entirely:

I hope that helps! It works just like the original power supply, fits in a cable wall sleeve nicely, and shouldn't be too budget-breaking (although the total solution cost about $60, not exactly great). I ran the cable through a wall sleeve under the Frame soundbar and then under a rug to get behind the couch, out of sight.

Enjoy!

Jerry2289
First Poster
Options

You are awesome! Been trying to solve this for weeks. Thank you!!!

0 Likes
sosolid
First Poster
Options

(if I could find one) would a 3.0x1.1mm male to female cable work here with the supplied psu?

0 Likes
fevis
Student
Options

I just want to share my solution. I had the exact same problem. The DC cord from the adapter being too short.

I tried all solutions mentioned here, converters, USB-C extension cords  etc. from AliExpress. Couldn't find a working solution, so after countles hours i tried the most simple solution. Cut and extend the existing wire.

Cut the DC wire and use a regular wire you would use for any electronic to extend. It works just fine. Also use some Heat Shrink Tubing to get it done correctly. 

eKismet
First Poster
Options

Thank you for saving my installation 🙏

0 Likes
Jahoker
First Poster
Options

Hi there,

Any chance you can give me more information on what cable would be suitable to buy for following your instruction?

Thanks! 🙏

0 Likes
fevis
Student
Options

Hi,

I used an ordinary 2-conductor extension cord like you would use for a regular lamp.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Conductors-Resistant-Electrical-Extension-Lighting/dp/B08FMMZHQ6?th=1

Where I connected the wires, I also used heat shrink tubing to get it properly assembled.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Shrink-Tubing-Industrial-Heat-Shrink-Wires/dp/B0BG6V4HV4

Works like a charm and no need to use all kinds of converters :smiling-face:

0 Likes