Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Symphony not worth it with premium soundbars?

(Topic created on: 01-05-2023 04:52 AM)
David_27
Explorer
Options

I have a Q80A 55" TV and a Q990B soundbar. I've tested some Atmos scenes with Q-Symphony both Off and On. Usually there's no real difference aside from a slight volume increase.  There was a scene in which, without Q-Symphony I could hear sound effects right behind my head, really close to my ears. With Q-Symphony enabled, those sounds appear to be coming from the TV, ruining the 3D experience.

Music sounds a bit louder but less deep.

I guess Q-Symphony can improve the sound of budget/mid-range soundbars, that don't have rear speakers and up-firing speakers like the Q990B, adding some height to the sound, but when a soundbar already has all those speakers and more, it seems to be doing more harm than good. What is the general consensus about this?

7 REPLIES 7
Ironside_97
Pathfinder
Options
I've gotten a little smarter on YouTube - but of course I know. not sure if that's 100% true...

According to what I found out, Q-Symphony is more likely to upgrade cheaper soundbars that don't have REAR SPEAKER.
With Q-Symphony, audio tracks - which should actually only be played back via the rears - are also played back via the TV.
This creates the hall, because the system no longer "knows" exactly which sound the TV should play and which sound the rest should play.
0 Likes
David_27
Explorer
Options

Yes. I've been experimenting a bit more, that is exactly what happens. Don't use Q-Symphony if you have rear speakers.

I don't understand why they advertise the feature in soundbars like the Q990B.

0 Likes
Adam B
First Poster
Options

I've experimenting. I have the 910b sounbar that comes with rear speakers.  I think it sounds better when not using qsymphony.  After messing with it, I think I agree with you.

0 Likes
Rika5417
First Poster
Options

Hi , I have s95c and q990c after several tests I haven't decided which is better or worse , what can you tell me about it, without q symphony I realized that my rears speakers were used more often or with more strength and I really like the 3d effects or the use of the rears to get a more immersive experience but when I activated q symphony I realized that is an increase on the sound and the music on the movies sound more immersive but only the music not the effects, I cannot figure out what mode do I prefer, what you guys think?

0 Likes
David_27
Explorer
Options

@Rika5417 wrote:

Hi , I have s95c and q990c after several tests I haven't decided which is better or worse , what can you tell me about it, without q symphony I realized that my rears speakers were used more often or with more strength and I really like the 3d effects or the use of the rears to get a more immersive experience but when I activated q symphony I realized that is an increase on the sound and the music on the movies sound more immersive but only the music not the effects, I cannot figure out what mode do I prefer, what you guys think?

Louder doesn't necessarily mean better. Q-Symphony can be louder on some situations, but it's hollower, especially in music. And like you said, it ruins the rears and the 3D sound experience. Definitely must be off.

0 Likes
Simon140905
First Poster
Options

I bought a 65" s90 yesterday and turned q symphony on with my 990c soundbar system.....oh dear,the sound coming from the front was garbage as i think it reduces the control of the soundbar and puts it through the tv speakers.

i turned it off immediately and will never turn it on again.

a useless gimmuck

0 Likes
dadnish
First Poster
Options

Would be nice if Samsung would comment, and also say if the software update did anything to improve it.  I recently got this set up for my QN85C...

- HW-Q60CC 3.1.2 channel soundbar

Wireless Rear Speaker Kit 9200S

- Updated the firmware to HMS-Q600CWWO-1011.0.BIN

Dolby Atmos demos on YouTube sound great.  Need to play with Q-Symphony on and off more.  Thanks.

0 Likes