Support

Open search

HW-Q90R soundbar does not pass through Dolby Vision HDR signal

Highlighted
Explorer

Update:  I can get Dolby Vision passthrough now! You simply have to turn of the HDR10+ functionality on your Panasonic OLED: TV Settings>Setup>HDMI HDR setting>HDR dynamic setting>HDR10+ Functionality = off

I tried to connect my Apple TV 4K (ATV) to my HW-Q90R soundbar to pass through a Dolby Vision HDR (DV) signal to my Panasonic GZ1000 TV. I have also tried this with my Xbox One X (XB1). I was using the Netflix and ATV+ apps. Both devices fail to pass the DV signal through my setup and all I get is HDR10. However, I have read that others have had success passing a DV signal through. I have checked all my settings on all the devices in the chain and they are correct. I am using ultra high speed 8K 48Gbps HDMI cables.  I have also tried connecting the sources directly to the TV and then DV does work.  The problem is then I get really bad lip-sync issues when passing the sound through the TV to soundbar, which eliminates this setup as a solution. I am posting here to hopefully get some feedback from other people who have either successfully passed an ATV or XB1 DV signal through their HW-Q90R and also those that have failed to do so. I am interested to see what TVs, video sources and apps you are using, especially  when using ATV or XB1. I find it very frustrating  and annoying that two common sources can't be used with their optimal video signal considering that the HW-Q90R is Samsung's flag ship soundbar.

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted

Hey guys, 

So I've gotten the splitter now, and I guess it sort of works. Kind of buggy to be honest. 

On the other hand, I've been connecting the Apple TV to my other HDMI ports. Surprisingly, I do not get any audio sync problems. DV on the display and Atmos on the soundbar through ARC, the whole shebang. I am as confused as you guys, now that it works on its own

I suspect the problem on audio sync comes up when we are trying for 4K @ 60FPS with DV. I am currently watching content with ordinary 4K @60fps and DV4K@24fps with no audio issues. 

Can anyone confirm? Soundbar is on the latest 1008 firmware. 

Highlighted
First Poster

error

Highlighted

@Facakente wrote:

Hey there ,

did u manage to resolve this or is that not possible ? I came along with same problem , I am unable to pass DV signal to tv , I only get HDR , I have a similar setup I have the gz950 - hwQ80R - ub820 

Success! I can get Dolby Vision passthrough now. You simply have to turn of the HDR10+ functionality on your TV.

TV Settings>Setup>HDMI HDR setting>HDR dynamic setting>HDR10+ Functionality = off

Hey mate, yes u are right.
I tried and it works.

Now was this always like this ? Because today I just updated firmware . But I tried previously with new firmware and it wasn’t working .
Highlighted

@Facakente wrote:
Hey mate, yes u are right.
I tried and it works.

Now was this always like this ? Because today I just updated firmware . But I tried previously with new firmware and it wasn’t working .

Good question. I tried this yesterday before the soundbar got its firmware update and therefore that update had nothing to do with it. Anyways, I'm really happy it worked now. Enjoy!

Highlighted

The solution worked for me too (q70r soundbar). However I'm not too happy with the solution, what about HDR10+ content from other sources?? I guess the setting would only effect other HDMI sources... eg My Chromcast Ultra? Hell I don't even know if CC Ultra supports HDR10+ in the first place 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Great news it works!

Highlighted

I use an LG OLED CX which doesn't support HDR10+, but does support DV.

My nvidia shield is connected to the Q90R. 

I can't get DV working. I only get HDR label instead of DV when I play DV content. Quite a bummer.

Highlighted

It should work , as I know people with c9 and DV signal is passed.

check your cables , might be a problem with a cable , anyway u get hdr , so I don't know cx settings , but in Panasonic I had to disable hdr10+ in the tv settings , maybe cx has some setting causing this behavior.

Highlighted
The CX doesn't support HDR10+, only DV and HDR. Since LG supports only DV, it will never support HDR10+.

I couldn't find anything in the settings of the TV.
However, if I play DV content via TV's netflix app, the TV will display a DV label on the top right corner. If I play via Nvidia Shield I get HDR labels instead.
Top Liked Authors