Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q600A audio dropouts - most obvious with Atmos content- connected to QN94A

(Topic created on: 14-09-2021 12:57 PM)
pdiddy95
Student
Options

2 weeks ago I purchased a QN94A TV – connected to an old Samsung 2.1 channel soundbar (HW-E450) – no issues. Shortly after, I changed the soundbar to a HW-Q600A to avail of Q-symphony on the TV, along with Dolby Atmos. Setup was certified High speed HDMI with ethernet cables connected to soundbar via TV HDMI 3 (eARC). Note: Soundbar does not support eARC, but does support ARC. I then started to notice blips, audio drop out, when playing Dolby Atmos content via the native TV Netflix app through the soundbar – this disconnect/reconnect was obvious, as the ‘Dolby Atmos’ logo scolled across on the soundbar. Frequency was random, but typically anywhere between 3 and 40mins. I suspect these dropout were on other not Atmos content, but it wasn’t as noticeable due to the lack of the dolby logo.

I tried some basic troubleshooting – replaced HDMI cable with 3 others, disabled eARC on TV, factory reset of both TV and soundbar, and Firmware check – soundbar running 1001.1/0071, TV running 1506.0 – issue remained. I changed the cable from high speed with ethernet to high speed, and I thought issue improved, but returned 3 days later, and is back to previous frequency – I believe this is just coincidence now and the issue is not cable related, as I didn’t touch the cables before the audio drops returned.

I reported the issue to Samsung, through their online chat, and after a number of days of carrying out basic troubleshooting, yesterday they came back and told me the following:

“We are aware of the Sound dropout on certain Soundbar model including your Soundbar. We are still investigating this and we are awaiting from Headquarters for their feedback or resolution. Most likely your Soundbar will have a software update to fix this however we can confirm this once we have a feedback/resolution from Samsung Headquarters.”

I pointed out there was a previous similar issue reported here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01211322/

From this, it appeared that the US site firmware update from 1000.9 -> 1001.1 would resolve the audio drop out issue, but obviously if this was applicable to my soundbar model, it didn’t fix it – is it normal for US and UK updates to be different, even with identical naming??

Finally I asked the rep to confirm and this was the response:

“Samsung is aware on the audio dropout of the certain models including your Soundbar HW-Q600A”

I am partly glad this was the response, but partly worried that there will be an update and the issue will remain – or there is something wrong on the TV side…. Has anyone else experienced audio dropouts or other audio issues with this soundbar and/or TV?

24 REPLIES 24
Mark Wildman
First Poster
Options

Just had this on q65a TV and a hw-q600a, fair to say I was not impressed given these are two fairly new products with not much time between their releases.

I tried updating the firmware but no improvement. Optical audio doesn't have the issue but you then lose out on the arc connection.

What appeared to be the issue for me was my TV was expecting an earc input not the arc input of the q600a.

I started to mess around with the audio expert settings, ensuring hdmi earc mode was set to off and the digital output audio format was set to pcm, rather than auto.

I have not had the stuttering since so far.

0 Likes
NickSpeech
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, 

Be sure to take the Q600A back to your retailer and ask for an upgrade to the next model up the Q700A. My retailer allowed me to upgrade and simply pay the difference (during a sale i only had to pay $100) and since I have not had a single issue with the Q700A and its been 2 months now. My retailer said they put my Q600A on the floor as a demo model and it wasn't long after they witnessed similar issues to whats been reported here.

Also Samsung support were useless, told me to fix the issue i had to run the Q600A in 2.0 channel (which did solve the issue) which meant I couldn't use the sound bar to its potential, they wouldn't help further and this was a level 2 technician. 

Show the retailer this page if needed to convince the need to upgrade and don't bother getting a replacement, one of the earlier comments here said a replacement had the exact same issues. DONT USE THE Q600A!

0 Likes
David H Basseur
Student
Options

I am having the same  issue, wish I had come upon this post when I was looking for reviews. One thing I am not certain and if anyone can verify this, does the Q600A display Dolby Atmos or DTS text on the display when it is playing the specific sound profile. The soundbar only displays TV ARC/ Surround Sound so I'm not even sure it it is playing either profile. I seen others that display Dolby Atmos when the content output is Dolby Atmos or DTSX when playing DTSX sound.  I even got the 2 wireless speakers for the 5.1.2 experience, I don't really want to spend any more money on the Q700A but guess there is no other choice. 

0 Likes
NickSpeech
Apprentice
Options

Hi David,

My Samsung TV shows the audio type when i click on Information when on a TV channel and this is how i know when i was going to have issues with Dolby Atmos. 

Since moving to Q700A not a single issue at all. My retailer told me to wait until the Q700A was on special which then i only had to pay around $100 difference 

David H Basseur
Student
Options

Thank you for the response, I guess its the Q700A. With the new models being announced recently hope the Q700A goes on sale soon.

0 Likes
Izefox
First Poster
Options

Hi, my q600a soundbar too have audio dropouts when watching any content and have updated the new software from the update section. It was fixed after that. 

0 Likes
Markonije
Student
Options

I have the exactly same issue with the RU7100 TV.
Firmware is latest on TV and also on Q600A.

I'll probably return it if they can't remote fix it.

For the people that have sync problems, you can adjust audio sync delay on your tv and/or soundbar to 0 and then you won't have latencies with sound.

0 Likes
Markonije
Student
Options

Hey, I have same TV and the same problem, so I wonder how did they update HDMI port to version 2.0? How is that even possible?

mydran
First Poster
Options

I am sorry to say that I have the same issue.

TL;DR - Turning off "HDMI-eARC Mode" and setting "Digital Output Audio to PCM" stops the dropout/audio issues but also turned off DOLBY ATMOS.  Disappointed, but still going to use the Q600A as the sound is better the base TV speakers.

I have a QE55QN95TXXU on the currently available firmware to me (1904).  I have Q-Symphony turned on - TV+[AV] Soundbar Q6A Series(HDMI) - and in Adaptive Sound Mode.

The Q600A is plugged in via HDMI on the eARC port of the One Connect box.  I believe it is on the latest firmware as when I tried to install the ver1002.5 (Oct 29 2021) "NO DATA" appeared when switching to USB input.  The HDMI Cable is a "Certified 8K HDMI 2.1 Cable" and I have tested it with other devices successfully.

When watching Disney+ or Netflix content that has Dolby Atmos the Q600A displays "DOLBY ATMOS" and everything sounds amazing.  Then I start noticing audio dropouts as "DOLBY ATMOS" appears again on the screen.  It's very distracting during heavy action scenes when a sudden cut of the audio stops the hum of a lightsaber or on documentaries with interruptions to the flow of narration.

Following the suggestions of this thread and setting "HDMI-eARC Mode" to "Off" and "Digital Output Audio Format" to "PCM", via the Sound Expert Settings, it does stop the dropout/audio issues but also stops DOLBY ATMOS.

I am still going to continue to use the Q600A.  The sound is so much better than the base TV Speakers and I got the Q600A on sale; I have no desire to pay more just to fix something I do not use all the time.

Most likely going to leave my first ever Amazon review that is longer than a few words describing this issue.  I'll keep my eyes open for firmware updates and update my post if anything changes.

0 Likes
mbmiller1982
First Poster
Options

Just got the Q700b and same issue as you all have with the Q600a. Super annoying. I tried seperate cables, the culprit is Dolby anything. Especially Atmos. PCM at least plays the standard sound but the reason I picked the 2022 model Q700b (with the .2 top speakers) was for the Full Symphony-Q and Dolby options. Samsung has gone to sh** with their products lately, even the non-existant customer service. All bots.

0 Likes