Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Freestyle update removes home screen

(Topic created on: 17-06-2023 07:52 AM)
ChaoticGoodNewbie
Journeyman
Options

On 16th June 2023 the update removed the home screen so that apps can only be selected via voice search. Same for when navigating via the smart things mobile app, so not hardware specific.

Go to solution
57 REPLIES 57
VitaliiK
Apprentice
Options

So mine just got fixed. Not sure if instructions of support helped (obviously they worked not from the first time) or a major update was released just now.

So what fixed my projector:

- Turn on projector. It has to be connected to internet. 

- leave it just as it starts (the starting screen with animated house) or blank screen. Don't launch any apps or settings, just don't touch it and leave.

- after 20 minutes: turn off and turn on.

I did this sequence twice and suddenly it launched properly.

As support explained - this problem might be caused by troubles while updating. So leaving it working for 10-20 minutes gives time to work with updates.

dashby
Student
Options

This worked for me too!!

0 Likes
BGwFreestyle
Apprentice
Options

Tried this a few times, still not working for me. however after the animated house and the black screen i get AirPlay title screen then it lands at the HDMI configuration screen. I’m on to my 3 factory reset. Why can’t samsung just roll back this horrible update This is terrible QC. 

0 Likes
x9moto
Explorer
Options

I have also seen on another forum that going to settings uncheck start with smart hub then switchoff and back on, recheck start with smarthub and repeat, this has served to unstick some peoples too.

Im still trying the first step on mine, no luck yet...

0 Likes
x9moto
Explorer
Options

Update, none of the above worked for me, left it on black screen for 40mins and restarted no change.

Did this 3 times.

Edit: tried several more times including the other suggestions and nothing has worked.

I would really like some sort of solution to this problem its been weeks and i have heard nothing usefull from samsung themselves only contradicting answers from each representative i speak to.

Funny how they are not so shy when taking the money but non existant when something goes wrong.

BGwFreestyle
Apprentice
Options

Went on Samsung support did the usual tricks with the support agent, turn off , turn on, wait, reset smart hub, reset project, changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 not of which fixed the problem , still no smart hub. Also got the agent to remotely log into the projector and he couldn't do anything there and said he had to Escalate to Level 2 support and that's where he gave me a ticket number and couldn't do anymore. This is a horrible experience owning a Samsung product.  spent $US 1000 on this dead weight machine so frustrating

x9moto
Explorer
Options

Yeah same process here, no results.

I find it hard to believe their level 2 support cannot push the update again so it can reinstall.

Its totally rubbish service, i work in electronics myself and i have a two week turnaround international!

And for firmware related issues i can push updates and corrections remotely as long as the device is able to boot.

They are more interested in making sure they can force the latest advertising package and not have the customer roll back an undesirable update than the reliability of their devices.

Psicocinema
Journeyman
Options

I still have the same issue. I've restart to factory settings reboot and wait several times, more than 20 minutes, and nothing hapens. Still the same blank screen.

it's a shame the poor IT assistance of Samsung with lots of users that can not use the projector in summer

AHochreiter
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem after updating to version 1503 and I guess it's not just an isolated problem of a few users, but a general big problem with the Samsung freestyle.

I guess most users will not use the device all the time and not everyone has the automatic update mode activated, so I expect more and more users will appear with the same problem over time.

I just sent a support request to Samsung and I'm very exited for the answer. Samsung should really start taking the problem seriously, before the topic grows up to a mess on their feet and more and more users gets annoyed about the poor support. To be honest...It can't be that difficult to provide an update file that at least reinstalls the old firmware. I don't want a forward fixing, but a working condition of my device, because who knows how long it will take to fix the error in the current new firmware 1503.

I'm currently considering blogging about this bug and posting my experience with it in a You Tupe video. Maybe Samsung will act and take the problem seriously when a sh*tstorm hits them. For me as a web developer it is no problem to develop a blog for the Samsung Freestyle and then to rank it top in all search engines so that everyone who types the term Samsung Freestyle stumbles across this blog first.

How dare you Samsung...may the sh*tstorm hit you... :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

Psicocinema
Journeyman
Options

I told the IT support the same thing. To publish the old firmware to install it via USB.

I will not buy any Samsung product the support is horrible