Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Freestyle connectivity

(Topic created on: 19-05-2023 06:00 AM)
catflap
Navigator
Options

How do I physically connect my Samsung 3D Blu-ray player as well as external USB drives to my freestyle projection TV? Not wirelessly. Not with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. But actually physically.

Go to solution
55 REPLIES 55
catflap
Navigator
Options

Thanks for that link. I always like to speak directly with a technician/expert who works at the stores I buy from, besides trying to find info online and on message boards. That's why I came here. I first had an online chat with Samsung and they told me it was not possible to do what I wanted. BS because I knew it could be done but needed help in figuring out how. My experience over many years with many Samsung products is that their customer service is terrible. They haven't even bothered to reply to this thread.

0 Likes
Solution
catflap
Navigator
Options

I received my Anker 8 in 1 hub today. It works with external drives. depending on the size of the drive and how many files are on it, it can take a few minutes to populate on screen. as far as the hdmi ports, they don't work with the bd player because the freestyle doesn't have the drivers/software for it. I have to get a micro HDMI (Typ D) — HDMI (Typ A) adapter/cable to connect directly to the micro hdmi port on the freestyle. i have ordered a Delock one. i should have it in 1 or 2 days and will report back here.

bartekb85
Apprentice
Options

how to power this hub? Is a freestyle charger enough or do you need a more powerful one? I would just like to read the USB drive and I wonder if I also need to buy a more powerful charger for the hub.

Solution
catflap
Navigator
Options

Okay, after months of trying to figure out how to connect my ext hdds and BD player to the Freestyle (with the help of some Samsung members here, BUT with absolutely NO HELP from Samsung support) and then searching for the right adapters and hub, this is my solution.

To connect the hdds/SD card I bought the Anker 8-in-1 PowerExpand hub which connects to the USB-C port on the Freestyle, and then the power cord of the Freestyle connects to the USB-C port in the Anker hub which will deliver 85 watts (the minimum needed) to power the ext hdds. There are many hubs out there, so if you need it for the Freestyle, make sure it has a minimum capacity of 85 watts.

For my Samsung 3D BD player (yes, I know the Freestyle doesn't have 3D capability), I bought the "DeLock HDMI Cable 4K 60Hz (HDMI Micro-D male to HDMI-A female") adapter. It is 20 cm long which will give your HDMI cable enough slack to reduce stress. DO NOT just get a cheap adapter to cap onto the HDMI cable. I received it today and tested it and it works perfectly.

The prices: about $100 for the Anker hub; about $20 for the DeLock adapter cable.

Thanks to everyone here for their help (EXCEPT Samsung support). I hope you all found this useful information.

Solution
catflap
Navigator
Options

To connect the hdds/SD card I bought the Anker 8-in-1 PowerExpand hub which connects to the USB-C port on the Freestyle, and then the power cord of the Freestyle connects to the USB-C port in the Anker hub which will deliver 85 watts (the minimum needed) to power the ext hdds. There are many hubs out there, so if you need it for the Freestyle, make sure it has a minimum capacity of 85 watts.

Also, see my complete solution I detailed here.

0 Likes
Solution
catflap
Navigator
Options

To connect the hdds/SD card I bought the Anker 8-in-1 PowerExpand hub which connects to the USB-C port on the Freestyle, and then the power cord of the Freestyle connects to the USB-C port in the Anker hub which will deliver 85 watts (the minimum needed) to power the ext hdds. There are many hubs out there, so if you need it for the Freestyle, make sure it has a minimum capacity of 85 watts.Also, see my complete solution I detailed here.

0 Likes