Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dolby digital plus on 2017 tv

(Topic created on: 18-08-2020 07:18 PM)
disrember
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I have a UE55JS8000T and home cinema system.  I can see in the manual that both devices support dolby digital plus.  I have a roku stick, amazon fire stick and also have sky Q, when I turn DD+ on I get silence.  

I wondered if it was the HDMI arc,but when I turn on just the TV speakers I still get silence.

The TV has the most up to date firmware 1550.

any ideas whats up?

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital-plus/

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Cosmic730
Pioneer
Options
The problem you've got is that the Sky Q box and Home Cinema are connected to your TV independently. This means your Sky Q box isn't reading the codec for DD+ and gives you silence when you set it to DD+ on the Sky Box and check sound output using your TV speakers or the home cinema speakers.

TVs don't send out sound when DD+ is selected because the TV speakers can't process the sound. TVs are "compatible" with DD+ through a home cinema or soundbar. TVs don't have the right speakers to send sound out using DD+. Sky Q box will only send sound when selected DD+ if it recognises the codec from the home cinema or soundbar that confirms it can receive sound with DD+.

If you do end up having to connect the home cinema directly to your Sky Q box, you'll have to connect your home cinema to your TV using optical cable to get sound from your Roku and Amazon Fire stick to come out through the home cinema. You'll have to connect the two sticks to your TV HDMI sockets and then choose optical on your home cinema to get the sound from your TV.

You could play around with the HDMI cables between your TV, Sky Q box and Home Cinema but from experience, it gets messy followed by a headache!
0 Likes
disrember
Explorer
Options

just to confirm that I get silence on the TV, when the stick is directly connected to the TV and just using the TV speakers.  I should be able to hear DD+ downgraded to 4 the speakers on the TV.

As stated, I have a roku stick, amazon fire stick and sky q... all same behaviour

0 Likes