Support

Open search

Virgin Media V6 box says my Samsung UE65HU8500 4K TV does not support 2160

Apprentice

Greetings,

 

My Virgin Media V6 box is connected to HDMI3 of my Samsung UE65HU8500 4K TV with high speed HDMI cable.  The TV has 3840 x 2160 resolution and the TV settings confirm that however when I go into my Virgin Media V6 video output settings it auto selects 1080i and says 2160p is not supported.

 

As it stands, my understanding is that when I'm on a 4K channel like 'BT Sports 4K UHD' then the 2160p broadcast will be sent to V6 box which will downscale it to 1080p and then send it to TV which will upscale it back up to 2160.  

I was hoping and expecting the native 2160p broadcast to just pass through v6 box to TV with no scaling needed. 

I tried re-running the auto settings which just selects 1080p again, and when I select "Test formats" the 2160 formats don't display a image.

Virgin Media phone support just said get TV checked and then he cut the phone line before I had a chance to respond.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I

@NickNotTheGreek wrote:

Greetings,

 

My Virgin Media V6 box is connected to HDMI3 of my Samsung UE65HU8500 4K TV with high speed HDMI cable.  The TV has 3840 x 2160 resolution and the TV settings confirm that however when I go into my Virgin Media V6 video output settings it auto selects 1080i and says 2160p is not supported.

 

As it stands, my understanding is that when I'm on a 4K channel like 'BT Sports 4K UHD' then the 2160p broadcast will be sent to V6 box which will downscale it to 1080p and then send it to TV which will upscale it back up to 2160.  

I was hoping and expecting the native 2160p broadcast to just pass through v6 box to TV with no scaling needed. 

I tried re-running the auto settings which just selects 1080p again, and when I select "Test formats" the 2160 formats don't display a image.

Virgin Media phone support just said get TV checked and then he cut the phone line before I had a chance to respond.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick


Hi @NickNotTheGreekDo you have the latest firmware for Tv as now shoulkd be 1400.1 https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE65HU8500TXXU/   Notice that this is a 2014 model and from checks would appear only HDMI 3 is HDCP2.2  (Digital Copy protection)  compliant (think the MHL one)  but you have Virgin Box would  connected to that one.   As  far as I'm aware you need to deselect all options apart from  2160p and 2160p (2160p (24, 25, 30fps) passthrough option to output UHD Broadcasts.  However youu may then wish to change this for Hd content.   I don't have Virgin myself  but this is the guidance via Virgin forums  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-Video-Output-Settings-small-query-4K-TV/m-p/373...      On Sky you only select one screen resolution option, 2160 p for UHD and either 1080i or 1080p for UHD (though can keep it at 2160p and Box will then do upscaling rather than TV)

Anyway was not much customer service from Virgin, if still issues think I would get back to Virgin first before having Tv checked.  Maybe though other Virgin users  will  have further advice.

Apprentice

Hi James,

 

Thanks for reply.

 

Yes I notice I get firmware updating messages occassionally so it must be auto updating firmware in background I guess.

 

Yes the Virgin V6 box was connected to HDMI 3.

 

My problem is that the 2160p & 2160p passthrough options are grayed out with message "Not Supported" on my Virgin V6 menu and Virgin phone support tells me it only does that if the TV it's connected to doesn't support 2160p but I know it does.  At the moment it auto selects 1080i as that's the highest "Supported" setting the V6 box is listing.

 

So basically I can't select 2160p.

 

Thanks for confirming HDMI 3 is the right port.

 

And thanks for the links.  I noticed the virgin link also talks about HDR improving the picture quaity.  Do you know if my 2014 UE65HU8500 TV will support HDR?

 

Thanks

Nick

Superuser I
Superuser I

@NickNotTheGreek wrote:

Hi James,

 

Thanks for reply.

 

Yes I notice I get firmware updating messages occassionally so it must be auto updating firmware in background I guess.

 

Yes the Virgin V6 box was connected to HDMI 3.

 

My problem is that the 2160p & 2160p passthrough options are grayed out with message "Not Supported" on my Virgin V6 menu and Virgin phone support tells me it only does that if the TV it's connected to doesn't support 2160p but I know it does.  At the moment it auto selects 1080i as that's the highest "Supported" setting the V6 box is listing.

 

So basically I can't select 2160p.

 

Thanks for confirming HDMI 3 is the right port.

 

And thanks for the links.  I noticed the virgin link also talks about HDR improving the picture quaity.  Do you know if my 2014 UE65HU8500 TV will support HDR?

 

Thanks

Nick


HI Nick thanks for confirming you cannot select the UHD resolution of 2160p, can you check your firmware and if not on 1400.1 update via USB on the link I provided. Possibly you may need to reset to Tv factory settings and if still the same issue try another HDMI high speed cable.   If not resolved think I would get in touch with Samsung and hopefully they can advise.

 

Unfortunately  in terms of HDR  not available on a 2014 set, there is the 2015  Samsung Evolution kit but would not support full HDR  and not  an insignificant cost.  https://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/evolution-kit-sek-3500/  https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1435569820

 

 

Apprentice

Hi James,

 

Thanks for response.

 

I'm not back home until Thursday, but yes I'll need to check my TV firmware is up to date.

 

I've just spoken to Samsung support on chat and he confirmed that although one of the ports is HDCP 2.2 compliant "the 4k picture on the virgin media box is only compatible with our newer TVs ranging from 2016-2018".

 

He went on to mention I can use the evolution kit model SEK-3500 to make my TV 4K compatible with V6 box.  Looking on amazon it is like you say, expensive at £400.  I'm concerned that you say it's won't support full HDR, persumably because my TV is only 8 bit panel.  Not sure how big an impact that is.

 

So at the end of the day I need to decide whether a native 4K broadcast with partial HDR is going to be signficantly better picture/sound quality than 1080i upscaled by TV on a 65" screen.  I guess there's no way I'm going to know without buying the SEK-3500.  But at £400 I'm hesitating.

Superuser I
Superuser I

@NickNotTheGreek wrote:

Hi James,

 

Thanks for response.

 

I'm not back home until Thursday, but yes I'll need to check my TV firmware is up to date.

 

I've just spoken to Samsung support on chat and he confirmed that although one of the ports is HDCP 2.2 compliant "the 4k picture on the virgin media box is only compatible with our newer TVs ranging from 2016-2018".

 

He went on to mention I can use the evolution kit model SEK-3500 to make my TV 4K compatible with V6 box.  Looking on amazon it is like you say, expensive at £400.  I'm concerned that you say it's won't support full HDR, persumably because my TV is only 8 bit panel.  Not sure how big an impact that is.

 

So at the end of the day I need to decide whether a native 4K broadcast with partial HDR is going to be signficantly better picture/sound quality than 1080i upscaled by TV on a 65" screen.  I guess there's no way I'm going to know without buying the SEK-3500.  But at £400 I'm hesitating.


Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. oh right, well that explains why 2160p was not available on the Virgin Box.  Obviously you would need to decide if the evolution kit would be worthwhile,may depend on whether you would consider upgrading your model in say the next few years.   (modern similar sized  models though would be expensive)

Apprentice

It'll be around another 4 or 5 years before I replace my TV I reckon.  By that stage new 8K TVs will be dropping in price I hope.

 

I'll probably just keep things as they are as I'm not sure the SEK-3500 kit would make a significant improvement to the picture quality I have now.

 

I'll pop into a local Samsung store on Thursday and see if they can perhaps demo a SEK-3500 kit.  I doubt it will be possible though.

 

Many thanks for your advice.  Very useful.

 

 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@NickNotTheGreek wrote:

It'll be around another 4 or 5 years before I replace my TV I reckon.  By that stage new 8K TVs will be dropping in price I hope.

 

I'll probably just keep things as they are as I'm not sure the SEK-3500 kit would make a significant improvement to the picture quality I have now.

 

I'll pop into a local Samsung store on Thursday and see if they can perhaps demo a SEK-3500 kit.  I doubt it will be possible though.

 

Many thanks for your advice.  Very useful.

 

 


No problem Nick, seeing a demo if possible would be a good idea (though may be a challenge)  and if impressed you might like to consider seeeing as little while before you would upgrade your set.  However realise that underwise you may can't be sure  if would be a worthwhile investment. If interested  in the 8k Tv's probably best  to wait a little while anyway,when things a bit further advanced and prices a bit lower.

Top Liked Authors