Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Gear S3 as a heart rate monitor when using the S Health phone app

(Topic created on: 17-07-2018 05:37 PM)
thesoundone
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I've been using S health on my S7 to monitor workouts on my cycle rollers. I have connected my Ant + speed and cadence sensors to the phone app but I would also love to use the HR monitor on the S3 and have that integrate onto the workout stats on the phone. 

Is this possibly? If not, why?

Cheers

Jim

17 REPLIES 17
thesoundone
Apprentice
Options
Does anyone have any ideas? Samsung?
GPSviews
Explorer
Options

Exactly. Same thing here...  If I use  my Gear S3 to record my bike workout, it does a wonderful job recording the path, heart rate, etc. Then later, I can see all that stuff on S-Health.  However with my phone on the bike, I can get access to my recorded Routes and see the map. When using S-Heath on the phone to record my workout, it DOES NOT collect data from my Gear S3 (e.g. heart rate) despite it is connected to it and listed on the S-Health/Settings/Registered Accessories. I have tested both at the same time (recording the workout with Gear S3 and S-Health on the phone), but still the phone does not retrieve the information from the watch to add it to its own record.

What is the point of connecting to an external device if not for collecting its data?
S-Health does sync with Gear S3, but after the workout and without collecting the Hearth rate data unless the workout was recorded only by the watch.  It would be great to have a real time HR data on the phone taken from Gear S3. Perhaps it has not being included to save battery on the Gear S3? in that case, at least Samsung should add in an S-Health update the collection of Heart Rate data from the Gear S3 when doing the sync with the phone at the end of the workout, like a one full sync between the two devices.
It is not nice to have to choose between the heart rate on Gear S3 or the extra features on the phone but without the heart data...  

Side note: another detail is that when using Routes, S-Health does not provide any navigation data like TTG or ETA. It would improve a lot if doing so.  It should even show the max recorded pace to compare in real time - Just some brainstorm here.

Thanks for mentioning the lack of HR from Gear into S-Health when recording with S-Health. It is a silly flaw that should be resolved.  :smileywink:

thesoundone
Apprentice
Options

Yes, it seriously bothers me that the gear s3 and phone app are so limited in terms of connectivity. I genuinely wish that I had bought a garmin device instead.

It doesn't appear that samsung are too interested in this topic either which is a shame.

deschokker
Apprentice
Options

This is still not solved? This is ridiculous. Samsung has a lot of options for smart connections and automation, but  using a heart rate sensor of their own product is not an option.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I've always wondered why this is not a standard feature. Seems like an obvious feature that should have been there from the begining.

Actually in certain situations / apps, it does do it. Thinking back i can remember using one of the workout programs where you watch a guy doing the excersise and it displays your heart rate on screen at the same time. Maybe it was one of the programmes or partner apps.... i can't quite remember. Definately do-able, just requires the dev's to be bothered to implement it.

0 Likes
deschokker
Apprentice
Options

Here they explain how to get the data from the gear s3: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49877474/retrieving-data-from-gear-s3-heart-rate-monitor-hrm-to-...

How difficult shall it be for the Samsung Developpers?

I still haven’t found an other Android app that can receive the heart rate from the s3. I would like to use the phone as a cycle computer, so I can also connect ant+ sensors

0 Likes
WirelessCH
Apprentice
Options

Just stumbled across this thread. I have exactly the same problem almost 2 years after the original issue was raised. Was it ever resolved...? I have a Galaxy Watch LTE and  Galaxy S10 5G. The phone picks up the wheelspeed and cadence from my Garmin sensor package via ANT+ but why on earth cant the phone get the HR from the watch as well...?

Even if not in real-time it would be useful if it auto-synched them after the workout but it doesn't. Starting a separate cycling workout in parallel on the watch only results is two separate workouts with no simple way to combine them.

So much great tech in these products but the integration still seems to be lacking, or is there now a solution...?

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @WirelessCH ,

When you open the Samsung Health app while your watch is connected to your phone, your health data will automatically sync. You can also tap Sync now in Samsung Health. If your health data isn't syncing, check your network connection and make sure the app is up to date.

0 Likes
WirelessCH
Apprentice
Options

Hi TessM,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Following the workout, the sync of the captured data from S10 5G to Watch LTE is absolutely fine. The problem is that it's not possible to capture data from all the sensors. Here are some example use cases :

Tech carried during workout

- Galaxy S10 5G phone on the bike

- Wearing Galaxy Watch LTE connected to phone via Bluetooth

- Garmin ANT+ wheel speed and cadence sensor on the bike linked to Galaxy S10 5G phone

--Use case 1-- (Start a cycle workout in Samsung Health on the phone)

- Phone records data from phone sensors (GPS, barometer etc) as part of the workout

- Phone receives and records data from wheel seed and cadence sensor as part of the workout

- Phone does not request or receive any heart rate data from the watch despite the fact that it is connected via Bluetooth. The watch is completely unaware that there is a workout in progress on the phone.

- After the workout, all data synced between phone and watch but there is no HR data recorded.

--Use case 2-- (Start a cycle workout in Samsung Health on the watch)

- Watch records data from watch sensors (GPS, barometer and heart rate etc) as part of the workout

- The phone is completely unaware that there is a workout in progress on the watch and does not record any data from the wheel speed and cadence sensor.

- After the workout, all data synced between phone and watch but there is no wheel speed or cadence data recorded.

--Use case 3-- (Start a cycle workout in Samsung Health on both the phone and the watch)

- Phone records data from phone sensors (GPS, barometer etc) as part of the workout

- Watch records data from watch sensors (GPS, barometer and heart rate etc) as part of the workout

- The watch is completely unaware that the phone is recording exactly the same workout

- The phone is completely unaware that the watch is recording exactly the same workout

- After the workout, all data synced between phone and watch but you end up with two duplicate workouts. One contains HR data and the other contains the wheel speed and cadence sensor data and they can't be consolidated but you have double distance for the day, double estimated calorie burn etc etc...

The minimum target would be that when a workout is triggered on the phone that it automatically pulls the HR data from the connected watch to include in the workout (Samsung Health on the phone shows the watch as connected during the workout so it knows it is there)

Ideally, triggering the workout on the phone should pull the HR data from the watch and also display a summary of the workout in progress on the watch display, even though the workout was triggered on the phone.

All the tech is there but there is just a gap in the integration...!

At this time the only way I can get HR data is to also wear and sync my Garmin ANT+ HR sensor to the phone, but I am now wearing two HR sensors...! - The one on my watch is not used at all which is crazy. Effectively, the Galaxy Watch  LTE is completely redundant when cycling and there is no point to wear it.

I hope this explains.

Cheers,

WirelessCH