Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM radio with RDS

(Topic created on: 28-11-2019 06:53 PM)
Fran19
Apprentice
Options

Is there a way to get a decent app to listen (offline) radio and get RDS data (station name, songs played,...)?

The Samsung radio app in my galaxy S9 is able to tune to radio stations but does not display any RDS data. I have seen much cheaper and much older phones that are able to get radio station names and other data. With proper apps, it should be possible even to pass traffic information for navigation without needing a data connection. That can be done using the Traffic Message Channel in the same way as many on vehicle navigators do.

13 REPLIES 13
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Fran19 ,

most of the radio apps need a connection to a Wi-Fi network or the use of mobile data to work or to receive RDS information. Are you able to receive RDS information on the Samsung Radio app when the phone is connected to a network? 

0 Likes
Fran19
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the response. I'm not interested in radio apps that need  a Wi-Fi or data connection. The point of FM radio is to be able to use it when there is no other connectivity. That is, even in Flight Mode.

The Samsung Radio app fits the basic functionallity, but it could be much better if it displayed the RDS info that is transmitted with the signal (possible to get also while in Flight Mode).

I have not seen any other "offline" radio app that I can install in the galaxy S9. NextRadio says in its web page that it is compatible with the S9, but I can not install it in the g9600 version with Android 9. In Google Play store it says it is not compatible and if I try directly with the apk it tells that there is some software missing.

TessM
Mastermind
Options

I do understand that and I would recommend having a browse at the Play Store to find an app that suits your necessities.

In regards to the Samsung Radio app, I will pass your feedback to our Development Team for future updates.

Hope that this helps. 

Apedlar12
Student
Options

How did you get it on your S9 as I have an S9+ but doesn't have it installed...

0 Likes
Fran19
Apprentice
Options

Probably it depends on the version. Mine is G9600, which in principle is for China and Latin America, although you can buy it in different places. I think that G960U and G960W  also have FM tuner (and for the S9+ versions G9650, G965U and G965W, basically all that have the Qualcomm chipset). But other versions may not have the FM tuner.

Apedlar12
Student
Options

I have the SM-G965F and I did an update only a few days ago and it doesn't appear in any of the app stores (Google Play or the Galaxy Store)...

Any ideas on how I will be able to access it? I saw something that maybe a factory reset may then allow it to be installed during setup but I don't want to do that to then have to put in all my data again and find that it hasn't added it...

0 Likes
Fran19
Apprentice
Options
Looking in gsmarena.com it seems that the G965F does not have FM tuner. If that is true, i'm afraid it will not be possible to get that functionality.
0 Likes
NomDePhone
Journeyman
Options

Came across this page when I got a Galaxy A41 recently and could see no station info in the radio app. I found yesterday that it did appear if the following features are turned on: under Settings > Lock Screen, enable Always On Display and (might not suit some people) and “Show music information” within that screen, and (back on the Lock Screen page)  FaceWidgets > enable “Music”. I then saw station name not only on the Always On Display, but also in the open radio app when unlocked – the need for these Lock Screen settings is not intuitive for the latter! May take a while for the station info to display after opening radio (initially nothing in app display, and always-on-display showed station frequency, but <Unknown> for station), and it seems to come and go for some stations(?). Does not seem to require mobile data /WiFi (could be in memory? – I haven’t yet tested what happens on a re-scan or move to a different geographic area). A bit late for the original poster, and may not be applicable for the S9, but might point other someone in the right direction.

NomDePhone
Journeyman
Options

[follow-up comment deleted as I found I could edit the original]

0 Likes