Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion - changing the method of recognising if watch is on the hand.

(Topic created on: 07-09-2021 09:26 PM)
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
Hello,

Could you please consider adding some new way of recognising if I wear my watch? My arm is heavily tattooed, I knew that measurements will be taken occasionally on spot without ink but since I bought Galaxy Watch 4 the problem is that this sensor tells the app if I wear the watch. And in both setting of notifications it does rely on the info if watch is on the hand to send notification.
When my watch movies slighltly to the inked part it's recognised as not worn and I get no notifications at all.

There are only two options there, to show notifications when phone is used or not. But both say that I'll get notifications if I wear the watch. Cause of my tattoo app think I doesn't.

Suggestion is to change this and add some more ways like steps, gyroscope in watch or just some time interval, for example if I set it that if I won't use watch for 25 mins it might be recognised as unworn (or stay on if watch is not at inked part)

Easy to do and would make many people very happy 
27 REPLIES 27
D4W50N
Explorer
Options
Is that right I've got a full sleeve and onto my hand on the side I wear my watch 4 series? I don't get notifications at all watch picks and choices really but jts rare.

Is it the tatoos that are blocking it bieng read and bieng worn?
AntS
Options

Hi @Kondek85, I've put it forward as a suggestion for the developers to look at. Me or one of the other moderators will let you know what the developers advise us.

@D4W50N , Your tattoo may interfere with the device's optical sensor. Reading around, it affects other brands/devices using that technology too. (Ink, pattern, saturation, along with the size and sensitivity of the sensor on a particular device I suspect all play a part.) Apart from continuing improvements in that technology (which I'm sure the product peeps are working on), then Kondek85's suggestion of exploring alternative ways of detecting whether a watch is being worn would be good IMO.

Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
Nice to see an answer from my fav mod and I'm glad it was seen as I can't find the way to find certain threads regarding only watches/models, all I see is one forum bunched up. I was worried that suggestion won't be picked up by mods

Thanks for looking at this. Obviously, as an all time Samsung watched user I am aware of not being able to rely on sensor reading in terms of health but never expected that it will cause problems with getting notifications.
I remember that on Tizen watch I was able to choose whether I want them to be sent to me always or only if I wear watch.

If we speak, I'd might have a further suggestion regarding this topic.
Payments. Both payment systems require a lock to be ON to be functional and we come back to same problem as lock activates itself everytime watch is not able to make a read through the sensor.
So if I'd like to make payments using my watch I need to deal with constant unlocking the watch to see a notification. Quite odd
What I would suggest from my point of view is that this lock stays Off keeping payments ON when unlocked manually once watch is connected unless I tell the watch to lock or it gets disconnected throught watch (distance or airplane mode - something that could be a proof for system that user is away from his phone which might be stolen watch). Personally I don't think that situation like somebody grabs me and holds me up close to the check in store to make a payment using my stolen watch will ever happen so this could be safe option. As soon he steal it and gets away lock gets on but if I'm connected and moving, so it's obvious it's me close to watch and wearing it would good to make this lock system bit more use friendly. For now I had to turn off payments due to problems with constant locking of the watch caused by my tattoos.

Watch itself is great and I'm delighted using it, love the system and everything, but it looks that when making certain functions it was not considered that it might cause some problems like no notifications or constant locking of watch if payments are on.

I remember that one of my suggestion was already implemented in previous watch (adding Bezel off to one of night/sleep modes to skip manual turning off and on for night) so maybe Devs will like this.
Solution was in Tizen version and it did work well, I could choose if I get notifications when I wear ir or not.

Thanks!
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
Have a look at my wrist. That lower untattooed spot is the only place where I can they sensor readings and I do get them if I'm lucky. But even if the mleatch moves slighltly it must have some ink already in sight and watch is recognised as unworn. I do not get notifications than and if I keep my payments ON on the watch I have to constantly enter pin when trying to see what's in the watch so turns it off. It was never any different but in Tizen version you could choose - get notifications all the time or only if you wear watch apart from option if phone screen is on or off. That was a good solution which looks like has been forgotten when preparing Wear OS version.20210909_125137_19591.jpg
D4W50N
Explorer
Options
Thanks for this my arm is the same is not much darker. So this explains why I'm not getting notifications then as it's obviously not reading I'm wearing the watch. First time I've bought a Samsung Watch but if this is the case this is poor in my opinion.

I've had much much cheaper and less High profile branded fitness bands/ smart watch on the same wrist that have had zero problem sending notifications or reading stats.

I didn't realise until now with this watch that tatoos effect the sensors, strange how bo other brand have this problem.
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
It's the case in most of the watches, sensors are basically based in the same technology. I know a few Apple Watch users and face exactly same problems. It's the light just can't go through ink, so far they didn't find solution for this either in Samsung neither in Apple or other manufacturers. As far as I know, maybe something has changed and I missed that. I use Samsung Watches for quite a few years now, came through all gears and galaxy's and was always the same.
It didn't bother me as I don't care about measurement but it does bother as it affects notifications and it's kind a pain in the butt to keep payments on as watch lock all the time and need to put pin to see what's on screen
D4W50N
Explorer
Options
Apprchiate the responce. I raised a notification issue with 2 samsung experts and was simply told to just return the watch and also placed a post in this forum with zero responce.

I have to say (which of course isn't your fault at all) that's a really really poor design if they carnt, I've had Garmin, fitbit and apple and none I've had issue with, I didn't actually no that having tattoos were an issue until your responce. First time with a Samsung watch and not having any notifications is a huge huge minus for me. I'm considering returning for a full refund as its not fit for purpose and going back to a garmin or fitbit.

I've explored all possible options I can find online and through Samsung support. No success.
D4W50N
Explorer
Options
Part of me wishes I no did a little more research into the watch instead of generic market research, this would habe dramatically change my mind into purchasing the watch and I primarily use them for notifications for my work so emails and text and calls etc and then accurate or as close as measurements for fitness etc
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
This could be just a matter of design and the placement of the sensor in other brands, could he the case of 1mm or close to, you'll never know. I guess an Apple wlWatch would work different in my arm than Galaxy Watch 4 due to different build
It's just the way it is, that's why it's always good to have a chance to test it. For me I just hope the sort problem by software as it can be done easily.
It'ss not that bad when watch is tight, sometimes ok for few hours but still, I always take my phone out of pocket as I'm never sure if I got all notifications.