Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Tag 2 - Thoughts

(Topic created on: 31-10-2023 05:11 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Nabbed a 4 pack for £77, effectively £19 each vs £34 each RRP.

Price aside I really wanted more Smart Tag+ but they had been out of stock for sometime, then rumours of the Smart Tag 2 and here it is.

Aesthetics
Not to bothered either way, but the Smart Tag2 ring seems overkill, would have preferred and Airtag size with a key hole. Also my Smart Tag+ have taken make knocks, scuffs and still fine, the Smart Tag 2 is the opposite and I concerned about the robustness and durability.

Function
Aside from the low power mode, much the se as the Tag+.

Overall
I love the Smart Tag automation button, tracking is hit and miss sometimes, as nowhere as large a network as Apple.

It's a shame Samsung just changed the shape, I liked the GEN1 design, just wanted it more compact, if only Samsung added more functionality, another missed opportunity as I am sure Apple will better the Airtag GEN1 which I used to own.

Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
18 REPLIES 18
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
I actually prefer the look and feel of the ST2, mostly 'upgraded' for the extended battery. I travel for work and have to change the battery alot in the ST+ ....

Agree functionality seems to be similar otherwise. I just leave 'em in my luggage/bag etc and don't use the automation button, it's a cool function though.

I also got the 4 pack at £76 and sold my 2 ST+...pretty much broke even so bit of a no brainer.
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I thought they all use 1x CR2032 battery ?

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The automation button is THE killer feature for me

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The battery life is meant to be over 500 days compared to existing ST+ which last 6 months max

I too like new design, and I found the network more than adequate in tests near home (I live in the burbs) and in the city

I dont understand you miss opportunity comment
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
But is the same battery, seems snake oil.

Missed opportunity as in adding more functionality

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
What other functions you want?
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I assumed that is for the smart people at Samsung to develop ...

I spotted a pet care automation this morning, but its really just an automation.

Simple one for me is more press functions, at the moment it is single press or press and hold, it cannot be hard to add a double press and treble press, i.e. Single press = device on, double press = device off, treble press = ?, press and hold = ?

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Double press is set for make phone ring

I don't know what you expect from a smart tag, it mean to have minimal functionality so to save battery for longevity. I far prefer longer battery life than additional features. I think it does enough but to their own
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Ok test one - son's tracker and automation message when he arrives at school - ST2 fails, location or message not displayed, until an hour later.

Note we used this method with the ST+ for over a year quite well.

0 Likes