Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gears S3 SM-R760 GPS not working

(Topic created on: 29-01-2018 05:03 PM)
Kurkoko
First Poster
Options

I installed all samsung apps, updated.

Got my Gear S3 and I am only able to make work GPS 1 time, every time I perform a Factory reset and repair again.

All permissions a granted to Samgung Gear, Gear S plugin and Samsung service.

Tried, Yelp and HEREWego, even shealth to track a test.

On Gear S3 location is set to on (GPA+Wireless).

Sometime I see Gear S plugin running and locate me.

I find strange I need my smartphone to locate me, and even this rarely works.

Is frustrating.....

Android 6.0.1 Xiaomi Mi5

0 Likes
63 REPLIES 63
GPSviews
Explorer
Options
I am sorry to hear that... I just shared my experience and I am lucky to say my Gear S3 is working just perfect. I work on remote areas where I have to trust my gear. I had great results even close to glaciers in Patagonia where other devices stop due to the cold environment. Perhaps the watch is helped by the temperature of the skin. The battery drains a lot faster on these conditions but it has been flawless after knowing these glitches. Some data looses accuracy due to fast changes on altitude (ATM pressure), like during flights on helicopter but that is expected. I use it on kayaks and rafting as well, with rocky canyons and deep forest on the sides without issues. So, I do not know why your device is not ding its magic. Justin case it helps, I use my watch with at least 220MB of RAM free (not storage). Perhaps with more apps, there is lesser RAM available for the processor to do its job.
I am sorry for not having further ideas to help you. Best wishes with it and if you find the issue, share i here.
0 Likes
miglozoya
Apprentice
Options

@GPSviews wrote:
I am sorry to hear that... I just shared my experience and I am lucky to say my Gear S3 is working just perfect. I work on remote areas where I have to trust my gear. I had great results even close to glaciers in Patagonia where other devices stop due to the cold environment. Perhaps the watch is helped by the temperature of the skin. The battery drains a lot faster on these conditions but it has been flawless after knowing these glitches. Some data looses accuracy due to fast changes on altitude (ATM pressure), like during flights on helicopter but that is expected. I use it on kayaks and rafting as well, with rocky canyons and deep forest on the sides without issues. So, I do not know why your device is not ding its magic. Justin case it helps, I use my watch with at least 220MB of RAM free (not storage). Perhaps with more apps, there is lesser RAM available for the processor to do its job.
I am sorry for not having further ideas to help you. Best wishes with it and if you find the issue, share i here.

Cool thanks! I have not even one single app installed, only those from stock so it shouldn't be an issue. Cheers!

0 Likes
Pcorrech
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem with my SM R600. 

I discovered that the fact is that the watch connects primarily through phone GPS, and only after by its own GPS, probably as a way to save battery. 

Disconnecting bluetooth will probably cause watch's GPS to work fine,  but without connection. 

In my case I had a medium energy battery saving plan on the phone, and this caused the phone GPS to shut after a few minutes,  and then the watch could not get the location, as it cannot be set to get location only from its internal gps.

When I returned in the phone to normal battery plan,  location in the watch worked perfectly. 

So, either the watch is disconnected from the phone,  or the phone must be set to plain use of services without battery saving plans. 

I discovered this without assistance of Samsung,  as support service only advised to reboot,  or to send the watch back for service. 

Hope this helps...

0 Likes
miglozoya
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

sorry it doesn’t....if you read carefully I always speak of running without my cell phone. I always leave it back home.....so using Gear internal GPS is the whole issue, it doesn’t track accurately. And S3 can get its location from gps only.

Thank you anyways :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Asemev
Student
Options

Hi all, 

I just realised that if the phone is in battery saving mode,  then the GPS on the S3 (or any other gear) does not work (with Bluetooth on)...

Turn off battery saving mode and the GPS fix is fine in a few seconds.

Asemev

Ant_Ruscoe
Student
Options
Asemev, You are a saviour... My watch has always worked fine since release but I tried to track a cycle ride the other day and noticed that it took forever to acquire my position and then once the screen shut down and I pressed the button to wake the watch, the gps fix was gone... absolutely useless for tracking.

I read your post and realised that my phone (Galaxy S9+) was in power saving mode... I quickly switched it off and tried the gps on my watch, it acquired a fix quickly and more importantly, kept track when the screen went off.

Good shout, thank you for the suggestion!

Ant.
0 Likes
miglozoya
Apprentice
Options

@Ant_Ruscoe wrote:
Asemev, You are a saviour... My watch has always worked fine since release but I tried to track a cycle ride the other day and noticed that it took forever to acquire my position and then once the screen shut down and I pressed the button to wake the watch, the gps fix was gone... absolutely useless for tracking.

I read your post and realised that my phone (Galaxy S9+) was in power saving mode... I quickly switched it off and tried the gps on my watch, it acquired a fix quickly and more importantly, kept track when the screen went off.

Good shout, thank you for the suggestion!

Ant.

Dear all,

I agree to disagree :victory-hand:. Please note that I want to use my watch without my cell phone being close by. The whole problem (really, look back on the thread) goes back to this "square zero": the watch loses track all the time when running. Problem is (I think I said this before) that when the screen goes black after a few seconds (depending on user's settings) when you turn your wrist to check your timing you notice that the GPS icon is flashing orange (= not tracking), which makes me think that it was already like that all the time when screen was off.

Two years and 1/2 down the road and problem exactly the same. Running almost on daily basis. Shame.

0 Likes
Asemev
Student
Options

Hi, 

You are right, thats of course not ok. It sounds likes its a technical fault in your watch.

I tested several different Gear models and as long as the watch is in standalone mode (so no bluetooth connection to the phone) then it uses its own GPS receiver and keeps the tracking continuously.

Do you have any chance to try with other Gears?

0 Likes
miglozoya
Apprentice
Options

@Asemev wrote:

Hi, 

You are right, thats of course not ok. It sounds likes its a technical fault in your watch.

I tested several different Gear models and as long as the watch is in standalone mode (so no bluetooth connection to the phone) then it uses its own GPS receiver and keeps the tracking continuously.

Do you have any chance to try with other Gears?

Hello,

If you followed my history, I got a replacement as I had sent my original watch 5 times (five!) to be repaired. Then I got my brand-new replacement and again, it gives wrong pace data. Send my replacement to be fixed two times and same situation. So I simply quit and recommend all my colleagues to buy a different one (maybe Garmin) for sport purposes. Rest of features are fine, but for real-time sport info, forget it.

0 Likes
miglozoya
Apprentice
Options
Sorry...confused here. How come you say "...as it cannot be set to get location only from its internal gps". It CAN, that's one of its features. You shouldn't need a cell phone to get a GPS signal!
Can you explain some more? Tx.
0 Likes