Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 alert when phone not found

(Topic created on: 11-01-2017 08:38 AM)
Swifty
Pioneer
Options

Does the Gear S3 alert me when it can't connect to the phone? 

If so, can you  stop it doing this overnight, or when the watch is not being worn?

Can you make the alarms louder or more persistent if the watch is outside a certain perimiter?

I'm getting old, and occasionally find I've not taken my phone with me. It's only going to get worse. 

I have a app on my phone which can be programmed to do various things when certain conditions apply. So sounding an alarm when I went more than 20 metres from my house would do the trick, if I hadn't just left  my phone behind.

The author of the app solicited for enhancements. I requested two:

1. A reminder of what you were about to do when you suddenly found yourself in a different room.

2. A warning that you'd just gone out the front door, to go shopping, but you'd left  your wallet behind.

Their response? "It will be in  the next release sir!". Don't you just love developers with a sense of humour?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JayL
Explorer
Options
It only alerts you once, then goes back to sleep.
There's never a stup1d question if you don't know the answer

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
JayL
Explorer
Options
Hi Swifty,

My s3 vibrates twice when i get out of bluetooth range, a watch then appears at the top of the S3. This watch is to tell me that there is no connection and my watch is just a watch. That reminds me if i have left my phone at home.

To turn this on: - Go to 'Setting' on your S3 > 'Connections' > then turn on 'Alerts Recieve BT disconnection alerts.'

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Swifty
Pioneer
Options
Thanks for letting me know about the alert. I usually turn my phone off overnight, so I'd have to turn the S3 off as well to avoid getting spurious alerts. Is that about right? Or does the S3 alert once, then fall silent?
I sleep badly enough already, without getting nagged by my watch just as I'm nodding off!
0 Likes
Solution
JayL
Explorer
Options
It only alerts you once, then goes back to sleep.
0 Likes
Swifty
Pioneer
Options
Just what I was hoping for; order submitted.

Thank you for your help.
0 Likes
JayL
Explorer
Options

No problem pal, you wont be disappointed!

0 Likes
Swifty
Pioneer
Options
I get the vibrating alert, and the watch picture appears at the top of the display. Thanks.
But now I'm likely to miss these warnings, for example, if I leave the house in a hurry. Or when I take the dog for a walk (he gets excited, and barks a lot)
Is there a way to get a noisier alert, or a larger effect on the display? Of course, such alerts should be suppressed if I'm not wearing the watch (the "always on display" turns off when it's not being worn, for example)
0 Likes
GilbertGriz
First Poster
Options

What is the name of the app or does this come std on the S3?  I am an iPhone guy now but considering switching teams.  I to am getting older and I put my phone down sometimes. I need something that will remind me to go back and get it BEFORE I get to far away. Thanks, GG

@JayL wrote:
Hi Swifty,

My s3 vibrates twice when i get out of bluetooth range, a watch then appears at the top of the S3. This watch is to tell me that there is no connection and my watch is just a watch. That reminds me if i have left my phone at home.

To turn this on: - Go to 'Setting' on your S3 > 'Connections' > then turn on 'Alerts Recieve BT disconnection alerts.'

Let me know if you need anymore help.

0 Likes
JayL
Explorer
Options

It's not an app, it's an inbuilt feature...

"To turn this on: - Go to 'Setting' on your S3 > 'Connections' > then turn on 'Alerts Recieve BT disconnection alerts.'"

0 Likes