Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch for my kid

(Topic created on: 24-02-2021 07:37 PM)
DamienBish
Apprentice
Options

Hi.  I couldn't find any threads dealing with this, so am posting new. My 12yr old got a Galaxy Watch from Santa. He doesn't have a phone so has been using it as is, out of the box since Christmas (it's not paired to any other device). Is there a way to manage the content on the watch from a PC or phone without the watch having access to my calls/texts, etc. He (and me) wants to be able to use the watch for analysing his activity, GPS data, etc. I tried setting it up to link to my Samasung phone, but bailed out when the Wearable App asked me to give the "Galaxy Watch Plugin" access to my calls/texts/calendar, etc. So, bottom line is that I want my phone or a PC to be able to read what's been going on with the watch and maybe configure the watch too, but I don't want the watch telling him what my phone is doing. Does anyone know if the Galaxy Watches can be used like this, or are they always meant to be an extension of your phone?  Thanks very much.  Damien

Go to solution
12 REPLIES 12
shea1hawaii
First Poster
Options

Is this really solved. It is a totally reasonable question about how to set up the watch on a childs account, and there is no solution here.  I am looking for the same answer.

djlott
First Poster
Options

I just went through this. For Galaxy Watch 5 and above (and potentially  4) you CANNOT do what the OP is intending, i.e., manage a standalone Galaxy Watch 6 from your existing (parent) phone on the Verizon network. Rumors are that you can from other providers  like T-Mobile but Verizon is 100% no go. 

I went in circles for days over this and ultimately purchased a cheap $99 (ok not cheap) phone at BB to manage my kids watch. This ultimately proved to be the easier solution. 

I tried a million things and I'm very tech savvy. Suffice it to say everthing I did had to be untangled with a 90 minute phone call to Verizon. This included switching the SIM card in my phone to match the SIM of my childs account, trying other phones in my home (too old) and a LOT of verizonwireless.com moving of plans and devices. Nothing worked and only made matters worse.

In any event, the separate phone is a more graceful way to do this becuase everything my child does on the watch is viewable from the phone. I can see messages, location, email, etc. I'm not that much of a snoop but I need to keep an eye on SCAM texts, emails, etc. and this works better. I can link some of the functions to my own phone to make this easier but mostly I need to manage his watch from the second phone. 

Good luck to you all. This is NOT simple on Galaxy Watch.

APAP
First Poster
Options

This is what I am doing as a solution.  I have a watch already so I am attaching it to my older daughter's phone to start it up and update from time to time but disconnecting it between.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-220915/