Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch & Gear S3 rapid battery drain after latest update.

(Topic created on: 16-08-2020 05:21 PM)
smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Since the latest update, I've had my Gear S3 watch completely drain unexpectedly. I didn't think much of it until my wife started complaining that her galaxy watch had also drained overnight and was having difficulty charging back up.  I then realized that we both had a recent update to our wearables software. So I took my gear from it's charger at 100% and was down to only 59% charge in just an hour! This is unacceptable.

I remember back when the wearables had poor battery life and was eventually fixed, but it seems that the latest update made it even worse than the original battery life which I never thought would be possible. The watches were running great before, and now they die within hours. What was the purpose of this update anyway? I'm not seeing a single change or benefit from it. It has only ruined our wearables. I don't want to factory reset just to end up in the same place.

Samsung needs to fix this a.s.a.p.!

59 REPLIES 59
smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Also putting them on the charger doesn't charge the watches because it is draining faster than it is charging. I had to disable bluetooth & NFC for them to be able to charge at all. Even with these disabled (removing all smart watch functionality in the process) the watches still drain much faster than before and will not make it a day.

I should mention that the battery drain did not happen immediately upon updating, it took about a day or so before we noticed it so the effects may be delayed and may explain why Samsung testing didn't catch the issue.

Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
was it a Samsung health update? I have has my watch go from 2 to 3 days of battery to barely a day (see my post) ever since a Samsung health update that became available last week. yours is a lot more drastic though, I hope it gets fixed soon because the gear S3 is still a great watch
PurpleS
First Poster
Options

My Galaxy watch goes from 94% battery to 0 overnight now. I don't wear it while sleeping and all tracking/fitness features are turned off. I was getting about 6 days of usage on one charge before this update happened, now I cannot use it. Samsung, fix it! Otherwise, I'll have to return my watch.

G_Lock
First Poster
Options

I'm have the same issue, after the last update my battery life on my S3 took a big nosedive!  Had to make a lot of changes shutting down features and the face to a basic display just to try and make it through the day.  What's the point of the features with a smart watch if it's now "just a watch".  I can get a basic watch from Walmart for $15.

NubianKing87
First Poster
Options
So clearly this isn't just me. I'd put my watch on before bed and in the morning im down to 74%. By the time ive gone for my morning walk and morning duties its down to 59% by noon. it is now 19:04 and the watch has run out of power. This has been a regular occurrence over the laat week. Had the watch a year and a few months now and this is the 2nd time its happened.
Ldglance
Student
Options

I getting the same power drain on my watch galaxy active 2. Not sure when it exactly starts but probably after an update. Nothing else changed it my usage of it.

NX1977
Explorer
Options

I've had my 42mm since April and always got 4 days.

Since 14th August my battery has only been lasting 2 days. Today it was taken off 100% charge at 7am and is now at 0 at 1pm.

Is this definitely an update, if so which? Or should I get mine replaced under warranty? 

smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Update seems to made bluetooth cause the battery drain. Putting it in airplane mode will make your battery last again but take away all smart connectivity & functionality.

It's just a regular watch now ...just in time for you to purchase the new galaxy watch 3 to replace it.

mawman
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same issue, starting around the exact same time.  It will suddenly drain most of the battery.  If I can catch it in time, and reboot, it usually clears it.  I was wondering if I need to reset the watch, but don't want to go through setting it back up afterwards.  This "update" definitely is not an improvement!  I went from a very consistent 3 days of use to 1 or 2, depending on how it acts that day.  Something is definitely wrong with this software update and needs to be fixed!  Seems like a power drain/lead somewhere, but not sure what software it really is.  Help!