Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch & Gear S3 rapid battery drain after latest update.

(Topic created on: 16-08-2020 05:21 PM)
smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Since the latest update, I've had my Gear S3 watch completely drain unexpectedly. I didn't think much of it until my wife started complaining that her galaxy watch had also drained overnight and was having difficulty charging back up.  I then realized that we both had a recent update to our wearables software. So I took my gear from it's charger at 100% and was down to only 59% charge in just an hour! This is unacceptable.

I remember back when the wearables had poor battery life and was eventually fixed, but it seems that the latest update made it even worse than the original battery life which I never thought would be possible. The watches were running great before, and now they die within hours. What was the purpose of this update anyway? I'm not seeing a single change or benefit from it. It has only ruined our wearables. I don't want to factory reset just to end up in the same place.

Samsung needs to fix this a.s.a.p.!

59 REPLIES 59
Muhammad Zafar
First Poster
Options

The same issue I faced after update 09-May-2021 - before update my watch holds a charge for about 2 days, now it drains in 5 to 6 hours. 

0 Likes
makis780
Explorer
Options

bye bye Samsung !!!!

20210521_091016.jpg

0 Likes
Aphid
Apprentice
Options
@zsangyal: Can you tell me what alternative you bought…? I’m in the same situation and have been checking out alternatives, too. I value the sensors for tracking my activities in the gym.
0 Likes
Aphid
Apprentice
Options

Did anyone try deleting Samsung Health,  from their watch, to see if the battery drain is caused primarily by that? Like everyone else my issues have stemmed from ‘updates’ of one sort or another. Not impressed running out of battery by early evening these days, after a full overnight charge.

0 Likes
CliffBry
Apprentice
Options
I bought a Samsung Watch 3 with 4G. It has been perfect with battery and provides additional health sensors so I'm very pleased with it.
0 Likes
Aphid
Apprentice
Options
Good to know. Thanks. I've looked at the Watch 4 series but reviews are quite mixed...plus the expense.
0 Likes
MontanaGlen
Student
Options

What apparently killed my battery was the default setting within Samsung Health on the watch that automatically detects workouts, and, furthermore, which kind of activity it thinks you're engaging in.  When I turned that off, the battery drain simply disappeared.  I have no trouble manually putting the watch into the walking or hiking mode at the beginning of the activity.  The Auto mode assumes the pinnacle of laziness, and that Samsung's algorithms of figuring out our activities will always be accurate: it rarely guessed correctly, BTW, because I use forearm crutches, and my gait is a little wonky, due to MS.  Samsung's algorithms don't adapt, and make average assumptions that don't work for many folks. 

In addition to that change, I keep Location OFF, until I want to map a walk.  Using the GPS for an activity, also uses more battery, but it's nice to see my watch faithfully draw my route after completing it.  Is it worth the battery hit?  Probably not always. 

Those two changes made all the difference in my S3 Frontier.  It's pushing 3 years old, and the battery, unbelievably, is still holding fine.  It'll run for TWO days, still. 

The problems we experience seem to be with Samsung's updates and bonehead "features" they turn on (like auto workout detection), without any kind of documentation to explain what the've just done to our watches, and how to make the best of them.  Do we want convenience?  There's a price, and that usually comes as a hit to battery. 

Please, Samsung, let us know, in detail, what you're changing, and setting as defaults, and give us clear instructions in how--and why to-- work with/around all your "new-and-improveds."  

0 Likes
makis780
Explorer
Options

Garmin fenix 6X.

0 Likes
Aphid
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the suggestion. Just checked out the price and…OUCH! ; - )

0 Likes
Ayman82
Apprentice
Options

Last week my S3 Frontier did the last software update (GPS)  and now the battery plummets from 100% to 10% in less than 8 hours, I reset the watch many times and no result, It is definitely a bug in the update, I'm so frustrated, These bugs indicate the weakness of this company. 

FIX IT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP OUR RECP

0 Likes