Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 Notifications - Showing Clock Over Notification

(Topic created on: 02-09-2021 08:39 PM)
lschoen
Journeyman
Options

9/14/21 Update: after reviewing the feedback of many others, intermittently blurring the screen is clearly an intentional software function that has existed since the GW3 (but curiously, not on the GWA2). I am hoping the following feature request makes it to Samsung: please remove this feature and allow us to protect our own privacy through use of a combination of existing features: AOD, lift to wake, wake on notification, and individual notification control. Comment below if you agree. Thank you!

Original post:

Hi all,

Received my GW4 last week and have been using it every day. Curious issue: sometimes (but not every time) when a notification is received, I look at the watch and it quickly blurs the notification and displays a generic, digital clock over the top. I have to hit a button to go back to the notification. There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern to when this happens-- happens in any app, any time; even happens for one Whatsapp message, then not for another message immediately following. I even tried a factory reset and am still seeing the issue. Anyone else seeing this?

Settings: screen always on-YES, wake for notification-YES, lift to wake-NO, screen timeout-30.

115 REPLIES 115
lschoen
Journeyman
Options

UPDATE: seems to be gesture-related (even though I have "lift to wake" OFF). The notification displays, but if I raise my wrist, it blurs out. 

Perhaps this is a security issue? Won't display a notification until I wake the watch manually (since "lift to wake" is off)? Turning ON "lift to wake" now to see if it resolves. 

Side note: If it does resolve, I don't like this. I prefer to have the watch only wake, and fully wake, when notifications come in. I don't like "lift to wake" because having it OFF balances the battery drain from having screen always ON...

Al Skop
Student
Options

Following this thread, as I'm in exactly the same boat. Wish there was an explanation or a way to switch this off... 

Bandy_ta
Student
Options

Same here.

This is pretty annoying, as I just changed from Active2, and there was no such issue.  I was looking everywhere for an option to switch this of, but couldn’t. Lift to wake is swiched on for me, AOD as well.

drtechfuchs
First Poster
Options

I would like to turn off this too... Can't stand it.

Skeeterfood
Apprentice
Options

This has been driving me crazy. Are you using a Samsung watch face or something else?

Skeeterfood
Apprentice
Options

I just figured out if you're on any tile to the right of the watch face and roll your wrist away from you, then back it also blurs it out and overlays it with that generic clock. This has to be a bug right?

Skeeterfood
Apprentice
Options

Actually, if you have Always on Display enabled and you are on ANY watch screen other than the watch face and roll your wrist away from your body it blurs the display and shows this ugly time. If you have Raise wrist to wake on, it will automatically disappear when you rotate back, otherwise you have to wake the watch back up via the button or tapping the screen if you have Touch screen to wake enabled. So, if you get a notification and it shows full screen (not sure when or why some do and some don't) while your watch is rotated away it will show for a second then get blurred out by this as you rotate the watch to look at it. The show last app setting (20s, 2 min, 1 hr) determines how long this ugly display shows before it auto switches back to the watch face.

PXL_20210914_140637165.jpg

cz_mok
First Poster
Options

I hate this function so much until I turn off AOD. Samsung watches have response tilt to wake and tilt to sleep, no need to have sure security feature to prevent others to see what is on my watch. Please remove this or at least give us a toggle to turn it off.

lschoen
Journeyman
Options

One of the standard Samsung watch faces!

0 Likes