Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 needs to have screen lock if you want to use it for payments

(Topic created on: 27-10-2021 11:37 AM)
Oceanica
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I can't believe this very annoying feature did not come up in any of the many product reviews I read / watched for the Galaxy Watch 4. As others have remarked, unlike in (say) the Galaxy Active watches where you only the Samsung Pay app required unlocking each time you used it, with the Watch 4 if you enable either Samsung Pay or Google Pay on your watch it will need to have a display lock. If you turn the display lock off, it will wipe the cards on either app and you need to reauthorise them and turn the lock back on. The 'excuse' is oh you only need to unlock it when you put the watch on, which presumably Samsung/Google engineers thought only happens about once a day. But most of us probably take the watch off and put it back on multiple times a day - to charge, to dry if our hands got wet, etc. If you don't use the pay function regularly - and working from home, I really don't - then you're having to unlock the watch multiple times a day just to have the option to very occasionally pay for something with your watch. Just not worth having.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Potshot2k4
Navigator
Options
Wearables
It's only a few button clicks to unlock it, better safe than sorry. If it's not worth having just remove payment methods from the watch
Oceanica
First Poster
Options
Wearables

This is absolutely not a case of "better safe than sorry". This is poor software design. It is the payment app that should require unlocking before use, as with previous models, not the whole watch. 

0 Likes
Marty313
Navigator
Options
Wearables

The standard under Wear OS 2 ff. is that you have to set screen lock on the entire watch if you want to use Google Pay. I see your point, but I don't mind.

0 Likes
cazinus
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I totally agree with Oceania. Having to unlock/authentify to proceed to any payment totally makes sens. However, have to unlock the watch many times per day even if you have no payment to make is boring. 

I learnt that an Apple Watch :

- is to be unlocked only if you pay something with your watch

- will not lock until you remove it from your wrist or as long as it is connected to your phone (equivalent to Smart Unlock)

I really hope that Samsung will adjust the software design otherwise the user experience will remain quite poor for those that are using the payement functionalities of the watch.

0 Likes