Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a powered USB hub to power unpowered hard drive attached to TV

(Topic created on: 27-04-2020 01:51 PM)
Drew1971
First Poster
Options

I'm having problems with recorded programs as the TV doesn't seem to power the hard drive when in standby. Rather than spend money on another powered hard drive, will TV be ok connecting to a powered hub with the USB hard drive attached to the hub, or won't this work?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options
@Drew1971: What is the model number of your TV, located on the sticker on the back of the device?
0 Likes
Drew1971
First Poster
Options

QE43Q60RA

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@Drew1971: A USB hard drive with a speed of 5,400 rpm or above is recommended. However, RAID-type USB hard drives and USB memory sticks are not supported.

I had a look in the user manual and it states " If the Sleep Timer or Auto Power Off has been set, the TV will override these settings, continue to record, and turn off after the recording has ended." This suggests that the TV needs to be powered on in order for scheduled recording to complete, as power is required to the USB. However, if your USB device has it's own power source then you should be fine. You can always try the powered hub option if it's currently available to you, as this might work.

0 Likes
Drew1971
First Poster
Options

But I would assume that in standby it's still providing power to the USB device, which I don't think is the case. It only records if the TV is on and I'm watching something, otherewise (for example overnight), it doesn't I've disabled all sleep / autotune settings as described in other posts, but no luck. I don't particularly want to buy a second, power hard drive, whereas a powered USB hub is about £20. I was just curious about whether the TV would recognise a hard drive if connected via a hub, rather than directly.

0 Likes