Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE55MU9000 - Unable to turn off screen when playing music

(Topic created on: 07-03-2018 06:40 AM)
Rahamin
Student
Options

This ability to turn off the screen when playing music is very useful when using applications like TuneIn. Even when playing music from youtube, many times you want just to listen, not to watch. Also, for many youtube music videos, picture is static.

I saw that this functionality was available for Samsung TV models until recently. For example: Turning off the picture but not the sound (2013-2015 TVs).

From some reason, this is impossible in my brand new UE55MU9000. If this is true, I believe that Samsung can provide such functionality in one of the next software updates.

Please...

110 REPLIES 110
Matt53
First Poster
Options

Possible/partial solution for MU7000 series and maybe others - enable Picture in Picture mode and set the other channel to either a second audio only channel or a TV channel that isn't broadcasting.

In PIP mode whatever is normally displayed on a radio channel (55" bright blue LBC logo anyone?) is replaced with a black screen with a tiny white speaker icon - big improvement! Appreciate it doesn't help for apps but much better for listening to broadcast radio.

Failing that in the PIP settings you can choose to take the audio from the secondary source, so as long as you can find a black/not broadcasting channel you can get a mainly black screen if the above doesn't work for you.

0 Likes
Itsa_kundis
First Poster
Options

So I picked up a 50in 7 series today (model # UN50TU7000FXZA) and I finally found the setting. It's in Settings> General> Accessibility> Picture Off. I was missing this feature and kept going back to settings to find something. Turning the brightness down all the way wasn't cutting it. Glad I finally found it, I couldn't believe it! 

arthurpf
First Poster
Options

This always annoys me. I have a 2010 LG tv model and it does have this feature. My 2015 Samsung doesn't have. I don't believe it's so difficulty to put this feature for all TVs. Probably they won't do that because it's  much better sell new TVs 

0 Likes
Sac
Explorer
Options

Okay so the newer model has it reinstated, still no good news for those of us hoping to get at least 10 years out of the UE55MU9000

0 Likes
kimaw
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung model 2019 and I miss the screen off function when listening to music and radio. I used to have Philips (2013) and there was the screen off function. I'm used to listening to music and radio at night. Now the screen glows!

0 Likes
mel111
Student
Options

I found this after ages on my 2020 q60t series. So, I really hope it works for someone else. Good luck everyone!

Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Picture Off

0 Likes
Hal81
Journeyman
Options

I called my local Samsung customer support. They told me that they deliberately removed this feature because they want customers to use their TVs as TVs and  not audio equipment and, if I understood the fella correctly,  subsequent models will not have it either 😕 That's rather... well... weird to say the least.  

0 Likes
Thiagofe
Apprentice
Options

That makes no sense, because the new TVs have this function on accessibilities menu, for the people that have no sight. Do they can save a lot of power as the screen is the part that most consumes power.

0 Likes
Sac
Explorer
Options

Sounds like rubbish, why would they care? wouldnt they prefer us to be using our televisions more so they wear out quicker?  what device would samsung like us to be purchasing to do this?  Regardless, how do you stream youtube or other music to your audio system without using a screen to see what is playing?

0 Likes
Sac
Explorer
Options

be good to read the whole thread......we know the feature has been returned to newer models.

0 Likes