Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ue43au8000 - brightness keeps auto adjusting at start of scenes.

(Topic created on: 15-11-2021 09:07 PM)
MattKB
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

Bought the ue43au8000 the other day and have noticed that on Disney Plus, watching some content I get a weird shift in brightness at the start of a scene change. Example would be Thor Ragnorak on Disney Plus (tried the native app and via Fire Stick). Example video below (you can't really tell it too well on this video).

https://youtu.be/OFnch3en4Mo

I assume it's something to do with the HDR. I tried turning off the auto brightness thing in power settings, motion brightness, and tried different screen modes, and it still does it. I've also tried changing the picture mode, when the quick select menu is up, it doesn't do it, but as soon as you go back to watching normal, it does it again.

There aren't that many settings, so I can't see why it's doing it. It does it on all picture modes, Standard, Dynamic, Movie etc. There must be something obvious going on but can't see what or why. 

23 REPLIES 23
MattKB
Journeyman
Options

Somewhat annoyingly, I’ve noticed that when using a fire stick, it seems to circumvent these settings and the issue persists. 
Bloody thing!! 

0 Likes
Dylanvncnt
Apprentice
Options

I’m having this same issue but I have model UN65AU8000 and I can’t figure out a way to open the service menu. Pressing the buttons in this post didn’t work for me. If anyone knows how to access that menu on this specific tv I’d be very appreciative. 

0 Likes
MattKB
Journeyman
Options

There is a list of potential codes. annoyingly I think there is 7 but I can only find 4. I’ll look harder later as I basically went through and tried them all until one worked. 

• Combination 1: Info, menu, mute then power button
  • Combination 2: Mute button then 1,8,2 then the power button
  • Combination 3:Display, menu, mute then power button
  • Combination 4:Display, P.STD, mute then power button
Dylanvncnt
Apprentice
Options

That 2nd combination worked for me. Thankfully I had an older Samsung remote available as the one that came with my tv does not have number buttons and nothing else was working. I have no idea why Samsung not only has PWM configured like this by default but also makes it so difficult to change it. 

Thank you so much for the help and the quick reply Matt! 

0 Likes
SRT102
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much! I was seriously considering getting a new television, and delegating this one to stock-ticker duty. Your method saved me.

For people Googling, this was a 43" Class TU700D 4K (2020) -- AKA UN43TU700DFXZA, and the code to get into this model was MUTE-1-8-2-Power.  The dimming between scenes was intolerable, and now it's fixed :smiling-face:

cwdmaharan
First Poster
Options

Life saver. Thank you so very much, that tweak works perfectly.

For reference Q70AA 85"

Turn the TV off.

Then,

Info, Settings, Mute, On

Follow rest of instructions to the letter after that.

0 Likes
Pieface272727
Apprentice
Options

Thank you!!!!

0 Likes
Y9RDNA
Student
Options

Yooo, was so happy when I found this. So I have the 65’ 2022 Frame TV and tried adjusting these settings unfortunately did not work. The brightness still adjust scene to scene just as it did before. Any idea what else it could be? Tried looking all over and can’t find anything. 

0 Likes
Domstrongbow
First Poster
Options

Ditto to making an account just to say massive thanks! Sick and tired of Samsung saying 'turn off eco settings, adjust brightness' etc, etc when the core issue is their ridiculous PWM, and nothing to do with eco lighting, backlighting. 

I wonder how many people are watching sub-quality telly on their Samsung TVs with this horrible PWM issue. I'm sure many of them have returned the TV thinking there is a fault, and in a way, they are right. But why must we bury ourselves in the depths of a secret sub menu to correct this awful 'feature'?

I spent hours trying to find a solution, and stumbled across yours. You are a ledge! Thank you. 

PS. I bumped my Picture_2D > Subsetting settings up to 100, works like dream.

0 Likes
HashtagAsh
First Poster
Options
Thank you so much! This works perfectly on my AU7100 43". It's been driving me insane for nearly 18 months!
0 Likes