Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Turn off PC Mode on HDMI input

(Topic created on: 12-06-2023 02:32 AM)
Vernal Bogneris
Apprentice
Options

I connect my laptop to my Samsung QN90B (QN65QN90BAFXZC) via HDMI and it often switches to a screen, something like "detecting device" ... "if this is a PC press down on the remote". I have been dismissing it by hitting the "back" button, but I finally hit the down button to acknowledge that it is in fact a PC. The problem is that is simplifies the display modes, i.e. I cannot use "Filmmaker" or any other display modes anymore. Instead the choices are "Entertain" and "Graphic", either of which have a much brighter and more saturated non-cinematic appearance.

Is there a way to switch this HDMI input back to the non-PC mode?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Unit713
First Poster
Options
Yes unplug the hdmi and reinsert it it will detect again and you can reset it as game console or something else

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Solution
Unit713
First Poster
Options
Yes unplug the hdmi and reinsert it it will detect again and you can reset it as game console or something else
0 Likes
Vernal Bogneris
Apprentice
Options

Aha, that does seem to work. This leads to the next obvious question: how do I stop it from constantly "detecting device"? I mean... I will fire up the laptop, and the screen will be displaying on the Samsung for several seconds, and then the "detecting device" screen takes over again. Why is it bothering to "detect device" when it's already displaying fine and working properly? Over and over again I have to keep dismissing this screen. Can I be done with it in any long-term or final way?

darren996
Student
Options

It is very irritating! Fix it!

0 Likes
mike_griff
Journeyman
Options
Did you find anything
0 Likes
Vernal Bogneris
Apprentice
Options

No I haven't. At this point, I'm just forming the habit of having the remote in hand, thumb on escape button, ready to press, whenever I wake the computer back up. I still really don't understand what is being "detected". When it wakes up, the display comes on and I see my computer display—ok, I don't see any problem here—and then it goes into "detect" mode. But...why??

0 Likes
darren996
Student
Options

There is a mode you can change to remember the last thing you changed it to. I forget what it is though.

0 Likes
Brett G
First Poster
Options

I had this issue too, just wanted to add if I set to home theatre hdmi for my mini pc I would get stuttering on the video. To the point I though it was an issue the computer, it was not the input has to be pc for optimal

As for not getting movie or filmmaker mode, I find the graphic or entertain settings on the pc work well one for games one for movies. 

0 Likes
x7007
First Poster
Options

Hi it's in connected devices you can scroll to the screen  and edit the icon if you use the arrow up or down. I have it on s90c 

0 Likes
Vernal Bogneris
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the tip, however I have tried defining it as PC (which forces garish bright awful colours, doesn't allow "filmmaker" picture mode), and as "Bluray player", but unfortunately in either case I am still constantly getting repeated "Detecting Device" screens. And furthermore, it all resets anyway as soon as I unplug and replug the laptop HDMI cable. What astounding stupidity.

Using the Edit input feature, I thought I had at least solved one other issue. If I go use Netflix or something and then want to switch back the the HDMI input, it takes a lot of clicking (Connected Devices, etc.) to actually select HDMI input. Well, the Edit menu allowed me to choose it as a favourite input listed on the home screen. Brilliant! So then I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and guess what? Not a favourite input on the home screen anymore! Truly astounding stupidity.

You would think that Samsung, being a laptop maker themselves, would understand that a LAPTOP, by definition, will sometimes be on my LAP instead of plugged in to the TV, and therefore, it is going to be plugged and unplugged regularly. I cannot believe how dumb this is. "DETECTING DEVICE" jesus I've been plugging the same device in repeatedly for a year or two now, it's the ONLY thing that ever gets plugged in.

End rant.

0 Likes