Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Smart Remote not available message

(Topic created on: 25-06-2017 11:43 AM)
Gareth74
Student
Options

Hi

Having an issue with the Smart Remote for my 6 week old UE55KU6450 with HW-K450 Soundbar.  The Smart Remote worked fine, got back from holiday yesterday and now only the On/OFF Button works and I have tried the following;

1. Repair Remote - Changed batteries and then holding the Return & Exit buttons for 3 seconds.  Message Not Available appears

2. Factory Reset - Still unable to repair the remote

3. Reset Remote (Samsung Support)  - Removed batteries from remote for 20+ sec's, replaced. Message Not Available appears

4. Reset Remote (YouTube) - While holding the ON/OFF Button follow step 3. Message Not Available appears

5. IR Test - Using a camera phone, point remote and see if 2 red lights appear. 

6. Perform Rain Dance around remote - Message Not Available appears :winking-face:

Any assistance would be appreciated

Cheers

0 Likes
Go to solution
52 REPLIES 52
Mark918
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue and tried this solution without success. Still getting the infernal “Not Available” message. What else works???

0 Likes
fischersd
Student
Options

This is SO f-ing messed up!!!  I'm thinking Samsung may have a bad batch of either remotes or TV's - that they're incompatible.

I have done EVERYTHING that I can find online in terms of resetting everything.  I just did a factory reset of the TV.  Nope, still refuses to pair with the remote. 

Oh, and this is remote #2!!!!  The store swapped out the other one.  Still no ***** luck!

For everyone else that's stuck, you can install the Smart Things app on your phone - it connects to the TV (either over Bluetooth or Wifi - can't remember) - it's a good workaround.

I've worked in IT for almost 30 years.  Managed all kinds of teams, including Software and Infrastructure Engineers.  My analytical / troubleshooting skills are better than most and I've run out of options.  Only thing I can think of is replacing the TV at this point (and really don't want to have to do so - I've already trashed the box). *sigh*

0 Likes
fischersd
Student
Options

I just got off of the phone with Samsung.  They're sending me a replacement remote.  (even though I told them that the store had already swapped out the remote).  

I guess the good thing is that if the 3rd remote also behaves the same way, that the problem is most definitely the TV.

How could that happen after the fact?   Me, I think Samsung has a bad software update that they're sending out to these TV's.  I think the software broke the Infra-Red logic....and why they're unable to pair.

Unfortunately, now it appears that my Smart Things app can't connect to it either...so the TV may not even be functional now (wish I hadn't reset it back to factory defaults). Joy! 😞 

0 Likes
fischersd
Student
Options

Ok, this is nuts.  After doing the factory reset, I've rebooted the TV 3 times, trying to get the Smart Things app to setup and connect to the TV properly.  Well, there was a dialog on the TV and I instinctively grabbed the remote and clicked the centre button to acknowledge the OK dialog on the screen - and it worked! 😮

Makes absolutely no sense.  No dialog on the screen.  No indication that it did pairing whatsoever.  

Oh - and as I went through the Smart Things setup, I was prompted to restore my prior configuration to the TV - I did not do so - didn't want to risk putting in whatever configuration anomaly that was causing the remote to not work.

Definitely seems that Samsung has some strange race conditions in their TV software causing this.

If the problem returns, I'll just buy a Bluetooth remote.

0 Likes
PMV1
First Poster
Options

Will a Bluetooth remote get it back to functioning normally?

0 Likes
Babylonfive
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem over and over and over trying RESETs and battery changes, with no help.

I used Samsung SmartThings app (Android and Apple) to get into the TV, but the remote (old and new one) would not pair.

Then I saw this YT video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGngUs30dh0) showing how to enter the service menu for this TV. I went into each and every option of all the service menus until I found the entries for SMART Remote Enable which was OFF, and BT Enable (BT means Bluetooth) which was OFF! I turned them both back on, and BOOM my remote paired when I hit BACK and FORWARD at the same time. HOLY *****! This was what I'd been searching for the whole time.

Hope it helps you!

0 Likes
hahauje
First Poster
Options
I just unplug tv for 1 minute then issue has solved
0 Likes
Laurieaj
First Poster
Options

Oh my gosh, giving it The Fonzie tap on the armchair work!  I've spent days reading all of these solutions and trying them. I was laughing when I was reading the rain dance you would described. When I read the Fonz tab I thought what the heck I'll try that. And it really worked! Who would have known?

0 Likes
Chrisreillyuk
Apprentice
Options
Where in the special menu did you see smart remote options I cannot find it anywhere?
0 Likes
Water Hot Ser
First Poster
Options

I just tried everything you listed and nothing works. Finally I open the remote control apart it's not hard at all. I cleaned a waxy liquid under the computer board with a damp cloth then cleaned the rest of the parts as well. I assembled the remote back together and installed some good used batteries and IT WORKS GREAT!

0 Likes