Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung UE40NU7120 Sound drop outs

(Topic created on: 14-09-2018 08:37 AM)
garyforest
Student
Options

I've just bought a Samsung 40 inch UE40NU7120 and everthing is fine apart from some tiny sound drop outs when I'm using my Sky box or Xbox One through HDMI.

When I'm streaming something it's fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

41 REPLIES 41
Konsolenkind
First Poster
Options

Hey everyone,

I bought a SAMSUNG UE55NU8009TXZG a few weeks ago and I have dropouts on the optical output as well. I am using a audioquest beetle DAC (~200€) so no cheap shots here...

Even stranger: when I connect the TV via Bluetooth to the beetle, the sound *****s up completely, only stuttering, as if you would fast forward or something...

I spoke to the Support, have them reset the TV - didnt help.

I even had the DAC given back to the vendor only to be told its perfectly okay...

When I connect the TV to cheap bluetooth devices it works fine. Same when I connect my iphone to the beetle DAC.

It seems as if the Samsung and the Beetle just dont communicate in the right way.

Im guessing the beetle expects a good quality signal which the TV doesnt deliver.

0 Likes
HAZEEL
First Poster
Options

I can confirm this isn't just this model. I've got a UE32M5520 and the sound drop-outs are becoming ever more frequent (in the last week, more than once daily). The audio drop-outs occur from the Virgin Tivo box. Ways to resolve it include switching to the in-built digital TV and back to Virgin / switching the Tivo to standby and back on / turning the Tivo off then back on / re-setting the TV. Different HDMI leads make no difference, nor plugging into different HDMI channels. It is clearly a Samsung TV issue. I haven't changed audio settings either. It doesn't do it through an old Samsung TV and doesn't do it on another TV in the house. It is still under warranty so I can only see the TV going back for repair / replacement. Had a Panasonic TV for 9 years without any faults so this has been a major disappointment. It's clearly an issue with a number of Samsung TVs and also on-going, so clearly Samsung are not interested.

0 Likes
KevOrca
Apprentice
Options

The problem had gotten a lot worse over the last few days so I have just contacted Samsung live chat support.  They did the whole remote management thing - resetting my TV/HDMI settings from a hidden menu.  "Rest assured that issue will not persist after performing troubleshooting step" I was told.  I'm not convinved.  I asked what the next step would be if the problem somehow was not fixed.  I was told to check all external devices connected to the TV and to contact support for my external devices!  I replied that I would insist on an engineer as there is nothing wrong with my external devices.  When the problem occurs again I will record it and send the recording to Samsung and insist on an engineer to come out to fix the problem.

Don't think I will buy a Samsung TV again as this issue seems to have existed across different models for some time.  They must use the same dodgy HDMI electronic components on all their TVs.

0 Likes
marty5t
Apprentice
Options

I recorded the problem and sent it to samsung technical support and they finally sent out an engineer to fix the television.The engineer replaced the mother board and said that should be the problem fixed.He updated the firmware and left so I set the tv up and had a few minor sound dropouts but nothing major.next day the original problem returned with the sound going off completely and the tv becoming unresponsive to the remote control.A new problem arrived in the form of watching through the terrestrial ariel the picture freezes and the sound continues.I rang the tv repair centre and explained this and they are sending out another engineer.Im starting to think this is a problem with the firmware.I wont be buying another samsung product after this and will be recommending my friends and family to buy another brand.

0 Likes
MonkeyMagik
Journeyman
Options

Hi all. I've just started to have this issue as well.

Purchased the TV from RGB Direct last November and no issues until about 2 to 3 weeks ago. Started to notice that the sound would cut out for a milisecond every 15/20 mins or so. TV is connected to a Sonos Beam so began the process of checking all the leads etc. I then noticed that a little bit of stutter was appearing, especially with football, and then finally when navigating the menus with the remote, it seems a bit sluggish. I did a factory reset and no change. Finally I swapped the TV with my sons 6120 from last year and that works fine, so I know it is the 7120 that is the issue. Will be onto RGB Direct / Samsung in the next 24 hours as not acceptable 

0 Likes
marty5t
Apprentice
Options

I seemed to have solved the issue with my television,I replaced all my connected hardware hdmi cables with amazon own brand 4k ready hdmi cables.Hope this helps someone.

0 Likes
Rcop612
First Poster
Options

Had the same issue. Ended up switching the sound confit to PCM and no drop outs 

0 Likes
HAZEEL
First Poster
Options

I changed to PCM and made no difference with our TV, sadly. Have used top quality cables, swapped cables, swapped sockets, tried everything to no avail. Must be an issue within the TV, sadly out of warranty! 

0 Likes
DanSNJ
First Poster
Options

We have a similar problem with our new UN55NU6950.  But in our case the sound just shuts off randomly (1-2 times a day to every 2-3 days) and does not return.  This is while watching our cable feed through HDMI 1.  It never happens on streaming and in fact the only way to get the sound back is to change to a streaming service and then right back to HDMI, which then has sound again.  Has anyone seen that happen?

Customer service had me reset the TV (of course no help) and now wants me to leave it on a streaming service for a few days to see if it happens there.  But based on the responses here I will skip the hassle and return the set.  Yay, Costo 90 day policy.  Since we have had good luck woth Samsung in the past I will give it one more try with the same model.

0 Likes
superpronker
First Poster
Options

I've had this audio dropout occur with these two DACs (connected to the optical out of my Samsung "the frame" tv) Audiolab M-DAC, Hegel HD12. But no problem with a Stello DA100 Signature. 

On the M-DAC, the problem went away when I set Jitter Rejection to "High Bandwidth".

this leads me to assume that the other posters correct in commenting that the problem is likely due to the digital optical signal being of insufficient quality.