Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 55" QLED Q700T Upscaling Issue - Am I missing something?

(Topic created on: 05-11-2020 12:53 PM)
AC1969
First Poster
Options

Hi, I've purchased a Q700T and have been trying to get the settings right all week but it doesn't appear to be upscaling, HD looks ok but standard definition is absolutely awful like it's just been stretched onto the screen like a dodgy stream.

I've tried with Freesat and Sky and both are similar.

According to the adverts you should be able to "Enjoy all your favourite content in glorious 8K resolution, even if it’s not filmed that way"

Has anybody else had this issue or was I just expecting too much?

Nothing looks anything special and it's no better than the cheap 4K Toshiba it replaced, in fact I'd say it's not as good.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@AC1969: I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the upscaling quality of your Q700T. Regarding the stretched image, HD channels will have black bars on either side of the screen when displaying upscaled SD (4:3) content, therefore if you have your picture set to full screen then the image will appear stretched. To address this, please head to Settings > Picture > Picture Size Settings > Picture Size, and assign your preferred aspect ratio. 

0 Likes
AC1969
First Poster
Options

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your reply. 

I don't think I explained that very well. What I meant by stretching was that it's as though it's remained at the same resolution but been made to fit the screen, everything is in proportion so it isn't the aspect ratio that's the problem,

I don't watch much SD stuff but if the Samsung claims are to be believed the picture should be crystal clear and it isn't anywhere near.

I've seen what 8K looks like on the picture test video and i'm not getting any of that whether it's SD or HD satellite. 4K Blu-ray, 4K Netflix or 4K Prime. It just seems to me as though it's not upscaling as expected. Could it be a fault in the tv?

0 Likes
Flotmangooner
Explorer
Options

Hi

Did you ever get a proper response from Samsung on this?

I'm not seeing Samsungs claim about everything in glorious 8k on my new TV - nothing seems to be upscaled 

0 Likes