Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN90B 50” - Game Mode not working

(Topic created on: 16-05-2022 11:42 AM)
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options

Ref:  Latest Samsung 50 inch QN90B 2022 model TV (QE50QN90BATXXU) with 144Hz VRR 4K being used as an external display via a HDMI 2.1 connection link from an AORUS 17X-YD PC gaming laptop with RTX 3080 internal graphics card inside.

The external Samsung 50” QN90B (2022) TV reports and shows the correct 4K resolution at 144Hz when connected to the HDMI 2.1 socket on the RTX 3080 graphics card (laptop).

NVIDIA Control panel on thenPC laptop reports and shows the correct 4K resolution along with the correctly set 144Hz…

However the issue is when putting the 50” QN90B TV setting into Game Mode ‘on’ for using VRR, because suddenly the source signal from the Laptop’s RTX 3080 is lost all together and the TV thinks that the computer is ‘off’ though it is not. Turning off Game Mode on the 50” QN90B TV results in the picture coming back and being received once again from the PC laptop at 4K 144Hz, but it is without any VRR (or G-sync).

I had a feeling the TV may have issues being so new from production.

Any solution, or is it a return job?

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
ChrisEvs
First Poster
Options

Having the same issue. Using the 43QN90B, paired with an RTX 3080.  On initial setup i had 4k/144 with VRR.  It's been a nightmare today! Couldnt get 4k working in pc mode.  Reinstalled everything and now i have 4k/144 but no VRR.  No idea why! so annoying.

I've come from an OLED48C1 which was a dream to use! I wanted smaller and the 144hz sold it to me, but im tempted to send it back.  Pic quality is also miles off the C1.  

How are you getting on now? any fixes to try?

0 Likes
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options

No joy after many days of intermittent testing with my new Samsung QN90B 50" connected to my AORUS 17X-YD (fitted with RTX 3080).

I still cannot get a picture in Game Mode let alone the sort after VRR no matter what I try and for me is still the same; when I turn Game Mode 'on' the picture disappears, but turning Game Mode 'off' and the PC picture reappears on the QN90B.

Therefore I decided to pull out my old laptop being an ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501GI (fitted with GTX 1080 Max Q) and I connected this to the Samsun QN90B using HDMI 2.1 cable. The GTX 1080 GPU has a HDMI v2.0 port whereas the RTX 3080 has a HDMI 2.1 port and the cable is HDMI 2.1 certified, but it is backward compatible so is ok to use to test.

Using the ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501GI (fitted with GTX 1080 Max Q), I was able to retain the picture on the Samsung TV when enabling Game Mode, unlike the RTX 3080 in my replacement laptop where the picture would disappear. However VRR remains off in the Samsung QN90B TV and nothing turns it on. When checking NVIDIA Control Panel in the ASUS ROG Zephyrus, G-sync is enabled however the GAME Bar on the Samsung shows VRR off. The refresh is at 144Hz with no issues.

Another thing I've noticed; if I use "Extend" display/project mode for the display setup with laptop screen 1 as extended screen and external Samsung TV as screen 2 set as the main display at 144Hz, then the motion is reasonably smooth (no VRR remember) if you were to grab an open window on the Desktop and move it around vigorously in circles. However if I set the external Samsung TV display 2 as the only display, then repeating the test with the open window yields a very stuttery/juddery nauseous motion as you circle the grabbed window around. Therefore I have to resort to projecting in "Extend" display setup. Naturally I would prefer not to be forced to always have it set in Extend mode if possible, but at the moment no choice.

Maybe it's a combination of a number of issue, I'm guessing:-

1. The Samsung QN90B is so new, maybe it is still requiring certain software updates to address and overcome a few certain issues and flaws. For the most part though, everything else appears to work well and is by all accounts a truly incredible TV. However the connection with PC is not flawless, nor faultless. I hear it works ok with gaming consoles (VRR works), admittedly though I'm not one for kiddie consoles anymore.

2a. I'm not letting Gigabyte AORUS (RTX 3080) of the hook either, because there are no doubt some issues that may or may not require addressing and updating with the AORUS gaming laptop that I have. Maybe due to the fact that I don't get a picture when enabling Game Mode on the Samsung TV (but I do when Game Mode is disabled). An important point to note though; is that I can't get VRR enabled on the Samsung TV's Game Mode even when using the ASUS ROG Zephyrus (GTX 1080) which is a different laptop and different manufacturer.

2b. NVIDIA. Yes maybe NVIDIA has a part of the responsibility as well, after all it's their GPU's that are directly outputting to the HDMI port (and onward to the TV). Maybe they have to create/modify/update drivers to allow their RTX cards (and importantly their Laptop based RTX GPU variants being easily/mistakenly overlooked or not prioritised) to fully communicate over the connection to the latest Samsung QN90B offerings of this year 2022.

3. Maybe the full HDMI 2.1 standard isn't being properly fully implemented in it's entirety or adhered to across the board by the various manufacturers - who knows, just a thought...

0 Likes
ChrisEvs
First Poster
Options

I did manage to get mine working, lots of faffing about and not sure how long it’ll last…. But game mode is on, pc is picked up as the source on the tv.  So 4k144 with vrr now working.

I reinstalled nvidias latest drivers and did a 15 minute tv unplug.  Then started again.  At first i only had 4k144, then needed to go into nvidia control centre, go to g sync tab then click allow vrr on unsupported devices and voila, vrr was working. 

Give the g sync tab a try if you not already? 

0 Likes
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options

Sadly still no joy for me. I’m still unable to enter Game Mode without losing the picture from the AORUS 17X-YD.

I can’t say for sure if the fault is with the Samsung QN90B. Maybe the Samsung QN90B TV’s own software mistakenly overlooks protocols for ‘Laptop’ based gaming and TV’s OS/firmware hasn’t been programmed to recognise and fully inter grate with laptop based versions of NVIDIA RTX 3080 GPU’s and laptop based HDMI 2.1 ports. Alternatively, the problem could also in part be with NVIDIA drivers for the laptop version of RTX 3080 not adhering to proper communications protocols over HDMI 2.1 as with its other family desktop variants that seem ok, or if the issue is with Gigabyte AORUS laptop manufacturer and any software/drivers they may have, or configuration issue they need to address - Maybe it’s even a combination of more than one party of the above.

0 Likes
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options

UPDATE - 20 May 2022

I did manage to resolve the issue at long last!

Admittedly I had already previously tried installing the now 'old' and obsolete OEM/manufacturer's Graphics drivers for the NVIDIA card and had did this before NVIDIA Support had also suggested this recently, however I must confess it proved significantly worse and yielded truly horrific results with the external Samsung TV display, in that it would only show an extremely very low resolution PC Desktop display that appeared to be the more square looking 4:3 aspect ratio. The only way to describe it was that it reminded me of a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64 with ultra low retro resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio Cyclops' vision.

However the solution was in part having the latest drivers installed 'which I already had' before trying out the old OEM drivers (never again) and it was also necessary to force reinstall all the driver modules for the latest NVIDIA graphics drivers , which again I had already performed and did not once but twice. However the thing that did it, was to use the option to "Clean Install" which also deletes all profiles. This fixed it properly and now I can enable Game Mode on the external Samsung QN90B display with 144Hz, HDR, VRR (G-sync) at 4K with 'no' serious issues apart from a brief period after boot-up/start-up on the PC laptop where the external display will get picture straight away but can briefly go black/blank for a second and may do this for a number of times (3 to 4 times) - I don't know what causes this and normally an external display may do this once in order to match the mode and settings sent from PC Laptop over HDMI 2.1 protocol, but why 3 to 4 times I do not know. Apart from that, all is looking good.

I'm very relieved and glad it's working now. Also, any idea of resorting back to old OEM graphics card drivers is simply not an option as they would be absent of infinitely too many new game releases that came out afterwards, where new graphics card update drivers would include many compatibility and feature updates for post released gaming titles. Just not an option and unthinkable.

But very relieved and glad all is working.

0 Likes
SkySong
First Poster
Options

I'm having exactly same issue on my new  QN95B, even though it was working last week, now experiencing your problem as described.  As soon as I turn on game mode, it disconnects from HDMI as if source is not there.  If leave game mode off, then it comes with 144hz but no VRR, even though i had this working a few days ago.  I even reset everything on the TV its still not working. 

0 Likes
SkySong
First Poster
Options

The only way i could fix this is by doing a clean install of AMD Adrenalin on PC (as I have an AMD 6750x graphics card), Turning on Game Mode on TV again, then turning on VRR mode in Adrenalin, in that exact order.  This process takes considerable time and Samsung should work on their gaming setup on TV side to make this easier. 

0 Likes
Nico Velazquez
Apprentice
Options

Have the same problem with my gaming laptop with a rtx 3070.

I will try these solutions (disconnecting tv from the power like 15 minutes and resstalling nvidia latest driver). 
I hope Samsung gives us a solution fast because this things can’t be happening! 

WidowsonLV
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem. QN90B, AMD 6700xt with windows 11. Crashes with "game mode" hdr freesync and 144hz.

0 Likes