Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q80R Picture settings not available on certain resolutions

(Topic created on: 02-06-2020 08:58 AM)
ZXG
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I have noticed that only certain resolution and refresh rate settings will allow user to utilise most of built in picture settings whilst in PC mode.

For example:

3840x2160@50hz

4096x2160@60hz

these combinations and a few other will allow user to set desired setting like local dimming, contrast enhancer and much more. However both will have a streched display and will not show a full picture, making things like a desktop harder to navigate.

If resolution is set to

3840x2160@60hz

2560x1440@120hz

You will get a full fit on display, but setting are extremely limited. 

Backlight

Contrast 

Brightness 

Sharpness

and that's it.

Is there anything that I am missing out on? TV in question is Samsing Q80R 55 model, I bought it for my PC gaming rig and I do believe that I had not made a right choice by purchasing it.

Once the image is set and adjusted on 3840x2160@50hz it does look very good indeed and all, but 60hz feels more fluid and does not chop away portions of image.

Had anyone come across this issue before and have a solution for this?

GPU is Nvidia GTX 1080Ti and yes I am using industrial grade HDMI 2.0 cable.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Ashutoshj
Student
Options

I dont see any 120hz option when i connect my laptop. Do ihave ti set my resolution to 4k and then its visible?

I hope the TV does some 1080p gaming on 120hz. Plz tell method to turn on 120hz on Q80R

@ZXG wrote:

Hi, I have noticed that only certain resolution and refresh rate settings will allow user to utilise most of built in picture settings whilst in PC mode.

For example:

3840x2160@50hz

4096x2160@60hz

these combinations and a few other will allow user to set desired setting like local dimming, contrast enhancer and much more. However both will have a streched display and will not show a full picture, making things like a desktop harder to navigate.

If resolution is set to

3840x2160@60hz

2560x1440@120hz

You will get a full fit on display, but setting are extremely limited. 

Backlight

Contrast 

Brightness 

Sharpness

and that's it.

Is there anything that I am missing out on? TV in question is Samsing Q80R 55 model, I bought it for my PC gaming rig and I do believe that I had not made a right choice by purchasing it.

Once the image is set and adjusted on 3840x2160@50hz it does look very good indeed and all, but 60hz feels more fluid and does not chop away portions of image.

Had anyone come across this issue before and have a solution for this?

GPU is Nvidia GTX 1080Ti and yes I am using industrial grade HDMI 2.0 cable.

0 Likes
voodoochild1974
Pioneer
Options

Hi

I can get my RTX 2070s to do 1440p at 120htz on my Q80R, the picture is smooth, but at 120htz if I pan the camera I get like a purple blur on edges.

I have tried every setting on the TV/PC, even been through forums, but I cannot get 120htz to look as good as my old KS series.

0 Likes
ZXG
Apprentice
Options

Right I may have founde a solution.

In Tizen menu simply change PC Mode to a Game Console.

I don't know why it is like that but it works.

0 Likes
Ashutoshj
Student
Options

YOU ARE A GOD! Thank you so much! :handshake: :smiling-face:

@ZXG wrote:

Right I may have founde a solution.

In Tizen menu simply change PC Mode to a Game Console.

I don't know why it is like that but it works.

0 Likes
voodoochild1974
Pioneer
Options
Tried, still no joy.

PC desktop, videos are fine, but 120htz gaming gives purple blur on edges if I pan the camera.
0 Likes
Ashutoshj
Student
Options

@voodoochild1974 wrote:
Tried, still no joy.

PC desktop, videos are fine, but 120htz gaming gives purple blur on edges if I pan the camera.

Its definitely not colour accurate when you change it from PC mode to Console but i tried playing rocket league on 1080p 120hz and it was buttery smooth on my TV.

the purple edges on text can be more visible but that when ur literally inches close from the display. I use a controller and sit far back so that works for me. 

0 Likes
ZXG
Apprentice
Options

Another thing that I found out is that for some reason LOCAL DIMMING or FLAD is disabled on some models when in PC MODE.

Without local dimming HDR is not really usefull.

To enable LOCAL DIMMING in PC MODE you need to go to a TV SERVICE MENU.

To do this you are going to need a full Samsung Remote.

Whilst the TV is OFF on a remote press  the following (in order, not all together)

FROM WHAT I KNOW IT CAN INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY !!! NOT SURE !!!

INFO -> SETTINGS -> MUTE -> POWER

TV should boot up as normal with a SERVICE MENU showing up at the top left corner.

Using arrow keys down and up to navigate

Center button to select

Return button to come back

And arrow keys left and right to toggle option

GO TO:

OPTION -> PRODUCTION OPTION -> PC MODE DIMMING SUPPORT (ON -OFF)

Toggle option as required.

If you enable LOCAL DIMMING function will be enabled and can then be toggled in PC MODE. 

0 Likes