Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 09-07-2020 03:56 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
PaulB3
First Poster
Options

Hi, was your Q95T not interfacing properly with SONOS Arc bar or another sound bar device? I've just purchased as a job lot pre-Christmas and now looking to have whole lot sent back/refunded because of the same eARC sound incompatability issues reported on this chain...

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Hey. Yes Sonos Arc. But I’ve heard it’s apparent across a number of units incl. the one from Samsung. Though I know you could just accept 5.1 and be done with it, I personally couldn’t swallow spending so much on a new set which just doesn’t do what it says on the specs. So back it promptly went. I’m going to wait and see what Samsung and LG come out with for 2021 (previews already happening and CES online next week). The range replacing Q95 looks promising assuming eArc is sorted! Good luck. 

0 Likes
Cambjones
Journeyman
Options

I received a note from the company that Samsung sent the the technician from as follows.

"Good afternoon

Further to the engineers visit yesterday, Samsung have advised they are currently working on a firmware fix and this will be delivered over the internet once completed.

Kind regards

Service Department"

I have a 75" Q95T connecting to a Sonos Arc.

Looks like we need to play the waiting game. I also noticed the updates come out on Samsungs website first (to be downloaded via USB) and then remotely deployed at a later date.

0 Likes
Ian-from-Bolton
First Poster
Options

Hi

I've just purchased a 95T 55" 2 days ago. i'm trying to connect my Naim hifi to HDMI3 to output sound. It's not working - do I need the very latest firmware?  This worked with my 3 year old samsung so I know it's not the external device

0 Likes
HECTOR14
First Poster
Options

Anybody tried Hdfury Arcana with Sonos Arc and the One Connect box yet? If so, did it solve the issue permanently?

0 Likes
dlynch
First Poster
Options

Hi, I would also be keen to know if the HD Fury works. Really shouldn't have to buy it but this issue has been going on since last summer and don't understand why it hasn't been fixed. Arcana (HD Fury) suggested I need a Vertex 2 as well, which makes it very expensive. It would be nice to know a firmware fix was coming but it has just been so long. My set up is an 85"Q95T and a Sonos arc (eARC to eARC). Sound cuts regularly (out as it seems to for everyone) and it requires a reboot of the Sonos Arc to get it back. Is it clear whether the fault lies with Samsung or Sonos? The sound is excellent when it works so I hope there is a solution. 

Thanks

0 Likes
CvH7
Explorer
Options

following thread

- I have a QE65Q95T and connected to Sonos Arc with the Samsung "one-connect" box.

For the last 8 months, the problem has improved but it has not been fully resolved. Depending on the source (Netflix, local TV box, etc) the sound when using E-Arc sometimes dissapears, then I need to turn e-arc off again.

Today after speaking once again to Samsung support over the phone, they had me take a few steps to temporarily solve the issue. They told me later this year there will be a permanent fix in place with a new update.

steps to follow were:

1. turn E-arc setting to off

2. remove HDMI cable in the one-connect box in the E-arc HDMI input slot

3. wait a few seconds

4. put the HDMI cable back in

5. in setttings, change audio source to "optical" (even though there is no optical cable in place)

6. once you do step 5, it will automatically change back to HDMI input (which is what it is supposed to do)

7. turn e-arc back to Auto in settings and check if sound is coming out of the soundbar

I did above steps and then checked audio from normal TV which worked and also a Netflix Atmos content, which also worked. I will see how long it lasts, as it has worked in the past and then stopped working out of nowhere.

cheers

0 Likes
pilske
Explorer
Options

I just received a e-mail from the shop were I purchased my Samsung TV and sonos Arc.

I have explained I would like to return everything. They promised me before I would do that, they first check some matters with their technical department. This was their (dutch) reply.

Goedemorgen, Samsung en SONOS eArc probleem is denk ik bij vele al bekend, Samsung kwam toen met een update rondom 8 december echter zijn de klachten niet volledig verholpen.

Samsung geeft aan dat er in het voorjaar een Update zal komen.

Problemen met de HDMI eARC ondersteuning en Sonos Arc:

- De eARC optie in het menu van de TV uit te zetten.

- HDMI kabel even uit de TV/soundbar halen en weer terug plaatsen

- De Sonos Soundbar via optisch met de TV verbinden

Als dit niet werkt kan de klant ook contact opnemen met onze klantenservice - zij kunnen met de klant een diepe reset uitvoeren. In een aantal gevallen heeft dit ook tot een oplossing geleid. TEL:088-9090100

0 Likes
Pete378
Apprentice
Options

Last year I purchased a Q90 tv and matching sound bar. Fantastic sound and picture. However after a short time it lost the TVarc connection and following remote help from Samsung they said to return the TV to the supplier as it was faulty. The new set arrived and very quickly showed the same problem. The lockdowns and me shielding caused many delays in trying to get this resolved but having tried 2 more sound bars and another one connect box with no success the supplier agreed o change the TV again. This arrived a couple of days ago and guess what ?   Initially the TV saw the sound bar all and worked fine. Shortly later a message popped up on screen to say that the device was being disconnected and that was it. Connection is only available again via WiFi and not TVarc. I have tried some of the solutions her such as switching off and disconnecting and although it worked once it won’t work again. The supplier, Richer Sounds, have tried their best and I can’t complain about them but they are not getting the support from Samsung. I am now on the verge of sending the whole lot back and going for another manufacturer which is not something you should have to do when spending this sort of money on a supposed quality product.

Another problem this time is that when I play my cd’s via the DigIn after about 30 seconds it disconnects and the e-arc is displayed on the sound bar so now I can’t even use that reliably. 

Does anyone from Samsung monitor these discussions and if so, what is the solution to this seemingly widespread problem and how soon will it be implemented.

0 Likes
El Vikingo
Pioneer
Options

I just wanted to join this list to add, as others have done, that the problem is NOT limited to Sonos devices. I have my 2020 Crystal UHD connected to a Yamaha RX-V6A. In the setup the devices identify each other. The sound cuts out randomly with horrible popping sounds. I have followed all steps possible, resets, changing settings .. Whatever I do, the only solution is to disable eARC. Even when it does connect, I only get PCM sound. So, I have to accept DD+ through HDMI.

It is profoundly disappointing to spend so much money for defective devices. If they are not compatible with eARC, why do you say they are?

0 Likes