Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Q70D TV darker picture on Sky sport UHD

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
Jamest1972
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Just bought a Q70D 55 inch TV and generally very happy with it.

When I first set it up I immediately looked for UHD broadcasts and found some woman’s cricket which looked great.

Last night I went to watch some F1 that I had recorded and it was very dark like the event was at dusk. I also found watching live golf was also dark.

looking at google it appears the TV might not be able to cope with UHD brightness? If I switch to 8 bit from 10 bit the problem is solved, but I assume the picture is not as good as it could be?

I tried a few other settings but it did not allow me to go back to 10 bit without the darkness.

Do I have to live with this and watch on 8 bit? Don’t remember this problem on my old (broken) Panasonic. How can a £1100 2024 TV not be able to handle true UHD?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

James

4 REPLIES 4
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
I have this on a QN95D, via a firestick. Turning off HDR fixed it. It's a Sky issue with HDR sources. Make sure you have input signal plus on and a good HDMI cable and HDR on within sky.
0 Likes
Jamest1972
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at your suggestions later. Setting the sky output to 8 bit seems to have solved it and the picture is still impressive.

My initial confusion was around the fact the cricket was ok right after set up….and the problem arose later on different sport sources. That did make me wonder about the sky side of things.

I did wonder about the hdmi cable. I am using the pink ended one supplied by sky but might order a premium one?

Regards

James

0 Likes
Jamest1972
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Input signal plus is on but I’m not sure where I switch HDR on/off the TV or Sky q box? I do need to look around the settings.

ladies cricket in UHD was on tonight so I switched back to 2160p 10 bit and everything was good. I even switched to the F1 channel and it was fine in UHD too. Don’t know why I thought one channel would work as opposed to another, but I also don’t know why it is working now and not at the weekend. Think I will update the hdmi cable and leave it and see.

Regards

James

0 Likes
Jamest1972
Apprentice
Options

I see now…..10 bit is uhd/hdr, 8 bit is not hdr.

I am back on 10 bit for now on sky q.

I don’t see an HDR setting on the tv.

cheers

0 Likes