Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Netflix sound not working on UE50NU7400 with digital output

(Topic created on: 17-06-2020 02:23 PM)
Alan2018
Journeyman
Options

I've had a Samsung Smart TV linked via an optical out cable to a Marantz CR610 hifi system for 4 years and everything worked OK, including Netflix.

The old TV gave up the ghost, so in September I bought a new Samsung UE50NU7400 4K TV, connecting it exactly the same way as the old TV.

The sound from the TV to the Marantz system works fine, just as before, whether the content comes direct from the TV or from the Sky box which.  The one probem is Netflix.  Netflix works fine through the TV speakers, but if I switch on the Marantz system the Netflix app carries on playing the picture, but no sound comes through the optical out cable to the Marantz system - we just get silence.

It appears to be a weird aspect of the Netflix app, but since it worked on the old Samsung TV it seems odd that it's stopped working on the new one.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

135 REPLIES 135
jensta
Explorer
Options

Yes Tess, we have all tried these steps and we have all advised they do not work. 

So why is the Samsung Technical team not listening to us and doing something about it?! 

We heard one poster early on in this thread (in Poland from memory) advise that his local

Samsung support team advise they were aware of the issue and it would be resolved with Firmware update 1359 (I think) but is this true? 

Can Samsung just tell the community formally when this issue will be resolved and the likely timeframe for resolution  - no one expects this to be fixed overnight but this happened in late January and we have been commenting for three months with no update or resolution. Surely you agree this is very poor !!?? 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
threadless
First Poster
Options

Just now started experiencing this same issue. Happened in the middle of watching a show from a local streaming app (note: not Netflix, so the problem is probably not Netflix based). Changed over to optical cable and that seems to be working as a temporary solution to the problem, but I was actually planning on upgrading to Samsung's HW-Q70R soundbaar which doesn't support optical... so... I guess I won't upgrade until they figure this out. 

0 Likes
Poor_guy_2020
Apprentice
Options

Using optical cable can be a temporary fix before Samsung release the firmware update:

1) using optical, the sound output format is Dolby Digital

2) using HDMI, the sound output format is greyed out as Dolby Digital Plus.  My Denon AV amp may not be able to play it and hence the stuttered sound

So, I'm connect the Samsung TV using both HDMI and optical (just for playing Netflix using my AV amp)

0 Likes
Jimt1000
First Poster
Options

Has anyone seen a resolution to this problem yet???  I'm still having problems hearing Netflix audio thru my HDMI Arc connected reciever.  All other Apps are OK... Please advise, thanks...

0 Likes
Chris669
Explorer
Options

no, Samsung has so poor consideration for his customers, and you are lucky when your TV does not wake up by itself during the night... 

0 Likes
Poor_guy_2020
Apprentice
Options

The stupid work around is...connect Optical out to your AV amp and use that when you want to watch Netflix ... 

0 Likes
Chris669
Explorer
Options
ok but seems to me that DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS is not supported by optical output
0 Likes
Poor_guy_2020
Apprentice
Options
It works fine with me. My AV amp is Denon AVR-1912.

The inconvenience of this “temporary” work around (using optical) is that you need to use your AV amp’s remote to adjust volume ...
0 Likes
Bsheff
First Poster
Options

In case anyone from Samsung is monitoring.

As I mentioned several threads back there are multiple issues with different models. It appears some TVs work with optical out except for Netflix. I have (2) different Samsung models.

UN55FH6200FXZA. I used the optical out into a Sony receiver and it worked fine. I used the analog out into wireless headphones. I moved that into a different room and gave my receiver to parents. Now I don't use the optical out, but a pair of analog speakers.

i upgraded to the Q80r 65 inch in March. I also purchased the Sonos surround system. I  hooked up the Sonos system via HDMI arc and all was well. So far. I then discovered there was no analog out. There is an optical out. So, I gave my headphones to parents and purchased an optical input pair of headphones. That when I discovered none of the apps played out of the optical out. All of the hdmi sources play out of the optical out bit none of the apps. Very frustrating as I use the headphones quite a bit for a variety of reasons.

Will someone at Samsung please acknowledge they are aware and give us an update?

0 Likes
mikeguy
First Poster
Options

Hi All,

I am having a similar observations but different.

I have a Samsung MU8000, with firmware version 1280

I have a Denon AVR X3200W with latest firmware, supports DD+ and DTX etc etc...

HDMI cable running through ARC, all settings quadruple checked.

I am actually ok on DD but I am trying to switch to DD+, this is where the issues are for me (in DD+), the sound it's intermittent in Netflix and Disney+ and Amazon Prime (cuts in and out continuously).

No, optical cable will not be a workaround solution, does not pass DD + signal (so I can get a proper Atmos sound).

Receiver works well with BlueRay player I have, so the receiver is not at fault. I have an 8K HDMI cable so bandwith is not an issue either. Considering that all the apps are doing the same, I would say likely that the TV is at issue here. I did not call support for this yet but doubt that anyone will know regardless based on the feedback that I have been reading in this thread.

Edit: I have been doing some reading, I am getting mixed information, some say DD+ is not supported on any of the build in apps? Anyhow...idk, likely will just use the DD.

0 Likes