Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Mkv codec support x265

(Topic created on: 25-02-2024 12:12 PM)
MelleK
Student
Options

When playing MKV files the codec can be x264 or x265, and on our television x265 does not work.

Can a firmware update be created so that codec x265 will also play the video?

Television is a Samsung ue40f6320aw, currently a firmware update from 2023 is installed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @MelleK  I think  MKV x265 files are not supported  and not too likely to change in future firmware updates,even though it may be a bit frustrating.  A workaround by converting files as shown in thisa article https://moviemaker.minitool.com/news/how-to-play-mkv-on-samsung-smart-tv.html 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @MelleK  I think  MKV x265 files are not supported  and not too likely to change in future firmware updates,even though it may be a bit frustrating.  A workaround by converting files as shown in thisa article https://moviemaker.minitool.com/news/how-to-play-mkv-on-samsung-smart-tv.html 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Especially on the age of that TV!
MelleK
Student
Options

The age is about ten years. Still a very good television with tv recording support to usb harddrived, that for some reason newer TVs do not support...

Converting files to x264 format actually works but is somewhat time consuming, so an update of the firmware would still be 👍

Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Ow yeah I'm sure it's spot on, it was more a comment on how Samsung aren't going to update something that old, especially a feature maybe 3 people might use!
0 Likes
MelleK
Student
Options

My guess is that firmware updates are created for multiple television-builds at once. Even this one got a firmware update recently in 2023. Of course, not aware how difficult it would be to support x265 codec next to x264 codec: There might be reasons that supporting multiple codecs is not possible on older systems - don't know, does not mind to ask for it :smiling-face:

0 Likes