Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last firmware update 1310.4 and youtube resolution

(Topic created on: 10-11-2020 08:38 AM)
Joanal1983
Explorer
Options

Hello,

Yesterday I updated my 55q7fn 2018 to the latest firmware available 1310.4 and Youtube app cannot reproduce videos at 2k or 4k. Before the update this was working fine.

Whant can we do? I've reinsalled the app and I've seen other users with the same problem with this new firmware.

Thanks,

76 REPLIES 76
VoodooGTS
First Poster
Options

Same issue with many of you.  With the latest update, 1310.  YouTube in 4k stutters crazy in 4k.  Directly connected to router or on wifi.

This needs to be fix.

Cant remove YouTube app.  Only reinstall.  Still has issue.

Samsung please fix this.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I have  also had the problem with the 4K, 1440p and even 1080p videos on the YouTube app buffering (with either black screen or frozen picture) and defaulting to 360p. on my 75" Q900RA "8K" TV  (2018 model) since early November 2020 too. No problems with the TV's own internet browser as 4K YouTube videos plays in 4K without any problems, which is really strange... From what I understand using the YouTube app through an external media player device like Apple 4K TV you will not experience this problem.

I wrote reports several times weekly (not daily) about updates on both the US and Nordic Samsung forum, and asked Samsung to respond to us why this is happened, and I got all my posts deleted and completely banned from the US (USA) forum (I am not even able to read thread posts there). However, I am still in the Nordic and UK forum. There is a good moderator on the Nordic forum who has actually responded and acknowledge the YouTube app problem, and told me that Samsung is working on a new Samsung update, but she cannot tell me exactly what is wrong or a date this new update will be released... However over four months later with this YouTube app issue is still more or less the same, though the latest YouTube updates seems to respond different (less black screen and buffering, and sometimes you can watch 4K longer before it buffers - instead of constantly buffering like it did in the beginning).  But to be clear, this has not been fixed, as I as late as today had a 1080p video buffer and defaulted to 360p - so it is very much ongoing !

by the way, make sure you reply with what TV model you have and what year it was released. I suspect all TVs (including 8K and 4K) from 2018 and older is having this problem, which TVs from 2019, 2020 and 2021 does not have this YouTube app issue.

Skjermbilde-2021-02-08-kl-22-32-20

ivaylos
Explorer
Options

@Joanal1983 and everyone else who have this issue with YouTube... 

Has anyone of you tried downgrading the TV's firmware version? 

I had a problem with my Philips TV.. I couldn't cast YouTube videos from my laptop to the TV. 
At first Philips Support told me that the problem is NOT in the TV but in the YouTube app or even my laptop.
Then they said that downgrading the software is NOT possible because the TV might not accept the older version. 
I did a lot of research and found the downgrade files... I performed it and the problem was fixed... This way I proved to Philips that they are wrong and that the problem comes from their software... 

I think that your problem might be fixed by downgrading the software.

I found a website which has the older firmware versions of your TVs. PM on Twitter @Prisoneer and I will give you more information.

0 Likes
Joanal1983
Explorer
Options

No, I haven't tried this but I'm going to wait to a new firmware version because downgrading the firmware is not supported by Samsung... and I don't want to have more problems and open another Samsung's surprise box...

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Another completely ruined moment.... YouTube version web_20210307_00_RC00. I was watching this really beautiful 4K video about Greenland with beautiful, detailed landscape which for some strange reason it worked for many minutes, but then of course it stopped and it has been buffering for the last 15 minutes, and it will not start - so I had to shut it off.... 

Link to this beautiful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj7kdnWVOxc

Another YouTube experienced ruined... I had to stop watching it as it just kept on buffering endlessly and would not continue....Another YouTube experienced ruined... I had to stop watching it as it just kept on buffering endlessly and would not continue....

0 Likes
drwilki2
Student
Options

Samsung Q9FN. After updating to 1310 I’m experiencing the exact same issue. YouTube app constantly buffers on WiFi. Will only work if an Ethernet cable is plugged in. Haven’t updated the firmware on my other unit so it is absolutely 100% a firmware issue.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Yep... That is a 2018 TV model, and as mentioned, this seems to be a problem with all 2018 and older Samsung TVs. In the US (USA) forum they claim to have solved and fixed this issue by having a tech guy over to install a new wireless board - hopefully the UK moderators in this forum would be able to kindly address if Samsung would offer the same services in Europe, and if this really is the problem that everyone seems to have had since the 1310.4 update in early November 2020. I do not get it if the defaulting to 360p issue is NOT present while watching 4K YouTub through the  TV's own internet browser, then how is this a wireless board problem with the YouTube app only ? It does not add up.... By the way, it makes my blood boil how poorly and insulting the US moderators have been acting on that forum, they delete, hide and even edit posts (without letting the user know) in that US forum, and as mentioned I got banned from it - just because I was reporting the exact same problem when a new version of the YouTube app was updated. If they got sick of me posting this problem, then they should know how I feel when having to experiencing this so many times a day, every day, for over 4 months ! By the way, the YouTube app have had some smaller improvements - and I noticed my YouTube app went back to the web_20210228_00_RC00 version in which the app did have less buffering, and I could watch 4K videos longer even though I did experience buffering and defaulting to 360p. Now we have web_20210310_00_RC00 and it seems better, but again still have the defaulting to 360p, but not permanently and as bad as it used to be.

0 Likes
Fixthisproblem
Apprentice
Options

Since this takes alrdy 3 months I bought a repeater for the Wifi. On the repeater is a Lan cable, with the LAN it works! With wifi from repeater it doesnt work. Samsung should sort this out but if you need a quick fix buy a sheap wifi repeater and connect it with a cable it will work like it should with wifi

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Still a constant problem with the YouTube app, and for the last couple of days, maybe even a week, especially many of the videos that are uploaded in 1080p. quality - if not almost all of them - defaults to 360p. when I start a video that is 1080p. or higher, and I manually have to change it back to 1080p. (but still it might default a few times back to 360p). Most of the 4K videos will not start in 4K in the YouTube app, and when I manually change from the default 360p. many videos will not start, but just keeps buffering... We are now soon in month 5 with this YouTube app permanent problem. 4K videos when played in the internet browser of the TV it works more or less flawlessly, but it is a difficult and very slow to maneuver and you get that annoying light gray scrolling line on the right side of the screen.

Still I am hopeful that the UK moderators will address this problem,  and I would like to know if Samsung in Europe will offer a tech guy over to our home that would install a (better ?) wireless board that is supposed to fix this long lasting problem (since beginning of November 2020 - now 25th. March 2021)....

0 Likes
Dmsdr
Student
Options

After seeing your post I did just that, bought cheap WiFi repeater and now I can finally watch 4k again. Although it's not ideal to spend money for something that should be working in first place, at least problem is solved now.

Thanks for the tip!