Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Prevent Turn On After Power Restore - Q80A

(Topic created on: 19-05-2022 09:53 PM)
TheCurmugeon
Apprentice
Options

I have a QE75Q80A TV and we live out in the sticks, so when the weather is rough we sometimes get a loss of power.  When the power comes back, even if the TV is turned off, it comes on automatically.  Yesterday, it did this in the middle of the night. 

There's nothing I can find in the settings to stop this from happening.  I don't want to TV to come on unless I want to switch it on.  Does anyone have any ideas please. short of turning it off at the wall every time?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Just turn it off at the wall as it's safer anyway especially if there's a surge when power is restored and will save you money long term not leaving it in standby overnight.
TheCurmugeon
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, not an option due to socket being behind the TV on the wall. 

In any case, standby current for this model is 0.5W so even at present energy prices I calculate that based on my usage it's costing me less than 20p per year.  By the way, that's ignoring the 9.9kWp of south facing solar panels on my roof, so my standby cost is only incurred during the hours of darkness.

As for surge risks at reset, I'd be more worried about my server full of data and my CCTV than my telly.  I'm not going to turn either of those off when I go out of the house.

It's the first TV I've ever bought that has no on/off switch on the front or even around the back.  Clearly, Samsung think it should be continuously powered.

Setting suggestions and other ideas please.

0 Likes